Brain tumours

A place for people affected by brain tumours or brain cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Driving and DVLA

akist
Posted by

Old people, over 80, they simply fill in a form and get their license for 3 years at a time. No doctors, no medicals, nothing.

akist
Posted by

Biddy39 

When they issued the license for 1 year, how did you apply for the next one? Did you wait until the end of the year,or did you apply 6 months earlier, seeing as it takes them 6 months to process?

Regarding your tumour, I think you should have as many surgeries as the surgeon is willing to go for. I suggest Mr Stapleton. Nothing kills the cancer better than a surgeon's scalpel.

Also you may want to biopsy your tumour to see the make up. Is it methylated for example? Can you try temozolomide? And immunotherapy like nivolumab/pembrolizumab and/or other forms.

Biddy39
Posted by

Hi 

After approx 9 months the delay sent out forms, which then took about 8 months for them to re-issue my licence, the same happened for the next one

As for the tumour after surgery I was given pcv, as you know with an olive they can never get it all, hence the new regrowth, I have the 1 & 19 deletions although can't honestly say I understand this, I am hoping that in time immunology may be an option

How are you in your treatment, prognosis?

akist
Posted by

Biddy39

After approx 9 months the delay sent out forms, which then took about 8 months for them to re-issue my licence, the same happened for the next one

Can't say I fully understand this. :-)

When they issue the licence for one year, surely you can only apply towards the end of the year? And if it takes them 8 months to respond that means you will be without a valid licence for 8 months?pply but the application must be "fresh" your medical documents must be current, so I cannot imagine you can apply 6 months in, because you do not know what is 

The 1p19q gene deletions is just a standardised marker check with a more favourable prognosis, ie if you have it your tumour responds better to treatment and you are likely to live longer than those without these deletions.

akist
Posted by

Regarding surgery I am not sure why you are so against it. If the surgeon is willing to have a go at it, then why not ? 

Biddy39
Posted by

I was allowed to continue  driving under section 88, the d v l a sent me the renewal forms at the appropriate  time, 

My tumour is very small right now and I am reluctant  to go through that trauma right now, although I may change my mind in the future

henryjames
Posted by

One day my niece suddenly fainted in her school after checkup doctor told her that it was due to epilepsy. Thereafter she has to surrender her driving license. With proper medication, she never faced any further attack. Now in order to get her driving license back, called DVLA customer care  qwikfix.co.uk/.../. They diverted her call to the medical officer and after the thorough discussion on the matter, the doctor told her that she is eligible for driving and can apply for getting her license back. After following the proper procedure, she received her license back. 

But brain tumor or brain surgery is somewhat serious disease and DVLA  not allow to re-issue driving license in such conditions. 

prettyfedup
Posted by

yes they do, my friend has gbm4 and has just had her licence back. Did you read the actual thread? Someone has taken the time to provide DVLA factual information and you just rubbished it

You can get your licence back

greendonkey22
Posted by

S

Lakeslover
Posted by

Your mother needs to notify dvla now that she has a tumour as her insurance will be invalid if she continues to drive without dvla approval.

My husband lost his license as soon as a single brain tumour was diagnosed. 

Bodach
Posted by

I am an Insulin dependant type 2 diabetic and have a 3 year licence but it could have been for 1 or 2 years. For the last 21 years my licence expires in September and usually March/April I receive renewal forms for completion so far I have had my licence renewed without a problem even when I was a taxi driver.

My licence is due to expire this September and being 70 I am awaiting the renewal forms and hopefully my licence will be renewed which I hope will happen but I suspect that the renewal will be for only 1 year.

But apart from any medical condition particular attention should be given to the medications you are taking, words advising you should not drive may appear on the medication/box.

Your GP should be able to advise you but you could take the Bull by horns and phone the medical section of the DVLA and make a general enquiry for advice.

Stewpot127
Posted by

Hi everyone 

Just a quick update on my earlier post. 

I wrote that I had a year by year rolling licence; I would receive DVLA forms, fill them out, sit back and wait for my licence to turn up. Well, that confidence has been knocked recently when out of the blue I had a chest infection that sent my temperature up and consequently ended up with a seizure. 

I was rushed into hospital for an overnight stay where they ran a bank of tests on me, finally concluding the above diagnosis. 

A couple of days after discharge my DVLA forms arrived through the post  (talk about bad timing ) and I decided there and then to not only send them off with the recent news and diagnosis,  but to stop driving immediately. 

We thought it would be like having our legs cut off again (my wife doesn't drive ) but actually given the right frame of mind can be quite liberating: we had a couple of years after diagnosis to get used to catching the bus, taxi, or plain Shanksy's pony. 

The upside is that it has given us time again for each other, walking through town hand in hand and just things that we'd forgotten: a cup of coffee together in town.

I'd even go so far to say that I'm pleased we don't have the car to drive anymore  (at least for a period of time ) but I'll be damn happy if I hear some good news from the DVLA.

I guess there's no pleasing some folk.

Will keep you posted.

Stu 

Littleminica
Posted by

You give me hope, my husband has a grade 4gbm as well, he's not as high functioning as you but they have started backing down the meds so I'm hoping when he's off all that crap and begins chemo and radiation he will get some cognitive function back. I've been debating turning his car in because they said in his current state he will never drive again. Since he's can't work 1k loss in monthly income is gone and if I don't need to make that car payment it would be a big help. He's retired so I have his pension and my income as I still work but that part time income makes a difference in lifestyle. We are in the US, things are a little different here but I have hope that you are doing so well. Be blessed and I pray for your well being.