Brain tumours

For people affected by brain tumours or brain cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other

Pcv chemotherapy

AlexTod
Posted by

Hi everyone, anyone have any experience with pcv chemo, I'm due to start next Wednesday? Thanks in advance

Lakeslover
Posted by

Hi,

I'm sorry I can't help with this type of chemo, but I'm hoping that by bumping your post up I will bring it to the attention of someone who can.

If you have any specific questions or would like to chat things through please feel free to call the helpline. The number is 0808 808 0000 and they are there on weekdays from 9am to 8pm.

Raffa
Posted by

Hi, 

I have had x2 rounds out of 6. 

What would you like to know?

Cheers

AlexTod
Posted by

Hi Rafa 

Thanks for your reply, how did you feel? Did you work during it any side effects? 

Thanks in advance 

Alex 

janp21
Posted by

AlexTod

Hi everyone, anyone have any experience with pcv chemo, I'm due to start next Wednesday? Thanks in advance

, hi I had four rounds of Pcv last year , supposed to be six but just about managed four , everybody different though lots of people go through it with little side effects x 

Raffa
Posted by

Hi,

The worst part for me was the gut ache and the fatigue. I only got mild nausea but the anti sickness i took kept that in check. I took senokot max strength for the gut ache but it still hurt like hell.

I did work through it but at slightly reduced hours for the week of the treatment for example - Monday and Tuesday my work gave me off. Wed-Fri i worked reduced hours. Did as much as i could. 

The second round was worse for me as i was tired going into the treatment. I have an 18month old and a new born....lol - this time i took more time off as i needed to sleep more. 

The rest of the time was work as normal. I cant drive post surgery (DVLA - see the other forum about that!! Grr) so I work from home. 

My third round begins in a few weeks - i am on a 6 week interval for the chemo.. think that is normal for PCV.

My advice is, get as much rest as you can & if like me you have young kids then like me grab sleep when ever you can! 

Cheers, 

janp21
Posted by

Well done to you , working and a young child no wonder your so tired, I hated Pcv made me feel really unwell but I don't work anymore so plenty of sleeping, i have total admiration for you I couldn't of coped with anything else on top of treatment x keep fighting good luck x 

TrishF63
Posted by

Just completed my second round of PCV on Sunday, I'm having it as an extra treatment for an inoperabl, incurable brain tumour so my situaction may be different to other.  First round was okay, not fab but we dealt with it, this time wiped me out totally.  Both times I had a little nausea but the meds helped that, it was the tiredness that got me the most.  I'm fortunate to be able to sleep when I want to, but for three days I only woke up for about an hour then I'd have to sleep again.  I'm on four anti seizure medications that also make me drowsy so it's not easy that way.  For the next round Ive blocked two weeks out of my diary, if things don't go as bad then I might do things but I have the safety net now that I can just get on with feeling dreadful and sleepin, if that's how it goes again!  

Hope your treatment is plain sailing.  Problem with asking questions like this is everybody experiences it differently.