Brain tumours

For people affected by brain tumours or brain cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other

So scared!

Whits85
Posted by

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. That's great that they managed to get most of your tumour.  

My surgeon phoned me on Friday last week to let me know that there is a bit of my tumour left! This was quite a shock to me because he did call it a "total resection" I'm still waiting to find out how much is left.. my impression is that they are just going to monitor me with regular scans.

Hope you don't mind me asking but where is your tumour? Did you decide to have more treatment, or did they recommend it?

Hope the rest of your treatment goes well!

All the best

Whits85 

lowgrade76
Posted by

Hi

I have dug out the letter from my neurosurgeon who sent it to Christies asking them to take over my care.

He said that "He had subtotal resection of a left temporal insular tumour".

He always stated that they would try and remove 100% of the tumour but there are always risks to that. I had Awake Craniotomy for my surgery. I was worried about that but I only have one memory of that. The reason they ended the surgery was that it could have affected memory, speech & function if they had taken more out so the hope is that Radio and Chemo can stop current cancer cells processing and going to Grade 3-4. It is a lottery!!

Hope that answers you question??

All the best

Whits85
Posted by

Hi,

Thank you so much for getting back to me.  Your tumour is in a different area to mine, so the surgeon was obviously very careful which is good!

My tumour is in my right frontal lobe. I was willing to have an awake craniotomy but my surgeon was confident he could remove it without me being awake.  He got out all he could see but has told me there was a bit he couldn't see which is deeper in my brain I guess.

I'm waiting for a meeting with him in June to find out more.

I really wish you all the best with your treatment. I have my fingers crossed for you!

Take care,

Whits85 

lowgrade76
Posted by

Hi

Just seeing how you are doing?

I have completed Radio.

I have a meeting to plan Chemo in 4 weeks time.

I have MRI in 8 weeks to see how it looks and prognosis which is scary!!!

This link tells you which type of Chemo

www.christie.nhs.uk/.../292.pdf

Best wishes