New to group - husband has brain cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi - my husband had a tumour removed just before first lockdown last year - only found as he lost his periferal vision.  Had radiotherapy and tablet chemo.  Unfortunately tumour grew back this year. He had the bulk of this removed on 29th July. Although the op went as expected he is still in hospital as he has lost movement in his  left leg and arm..  we don’t know if  this will return but waiting for  a place at rehab to try and gain some muscle back.  I am so frustrated at the waiting as the longer he waits the move movement he loses.  He is getting more depressed each day and it’s so hard to see him like this as it is so out of character.  Can only visit for an hour a day which I know is down to Covid situation but still it’s hard to deal with. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Stay strong cocktail queen, easier said than done keep doing the amazing job you are in helping your husband. I hear your frustrations, I am not allowed with my wife to any treatments so I wait outside. Others have family I don’t get why I can’t anyways that’s just a little gripe. I found the need to come on here and post last night for the first time, first time I’d spoken to anyone non professional about our stuff. Keep your head up x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember
    • There always seem to be different rules for different patients I find .  It’s good to know I am not alone in how I feel.  You too are doing a grand job in supporting your wife.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you.

Your not wrong and I thought we were all equal as people! Humour has got better during all this. Your certainly not alone if you ever need to vent just go for it better out than in x

• Hi Cocktail Queen, so sorry to hear about your husband. It's so hard to see our partners go through this journey. My own husband received a terminal diagnosis almost a year ago after they found a tumour the size of a golf ball ( a GBM4) that impacted his speech, communication and understanding. He underwent surgery and six weeks of chemo/radiotherapy then declined any other treatment. His last scan showed fresh tumour growth. Frustrating doesn't begin to cover it! As Mr Autopilot says there's no rhyme nor reason as to why some folk get to take someone to appts and others don't. When my other half had his surgery it was zero visiting at the hospital - that was so hard and scary too. 

I don't have any words of wisdom here but I'd encourage you to voice your concerns to his medical team.

Hang in there. Stay strong. You're doing a great job so please take time to look after yourself too. Me time isn't selfish, its essential.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Wee Me

So sorry to hear of your husband”s diagnosis - sounds like we are in the same boat as they say.  I know how hard the zero visits are - my hubby too had a spell this year when all I could do was drop off a bag of bits to a&e door and hoped they found him - they did but he did bring Covid home and although he was fine thanks to his steroids I was flat out for 2 weeks!  Thank you for your encouragement x