It is now terminal

1. I'm not to sure what to say really...  i was diagnosed in late November 2018 with stage 4 bowl cancer at 33 years of age. I had surgery with a colostomy and 6 months of chemo. Bloods were good all the way until now where they still remain fine. My scan in October was clear. I was due a scan in March but was cancelled due to covid. I finally got it in July 5 months later. While waiting on results for 2 1/2 weeks I began getting pain in my groin and sides so i Took my self to a&e. My surgen was in the building. So after backwards and forwards saying it was a twisted testical. About to be sent home. I asked for the scan results. To be told the cancer was back and is terminal and my only option is palatif chemo. My world has fallen apart again I have a 6 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. Me and wife just got married 3 days ago. I worry about my Kids the most this will be so hard for them to even understand yet to come to terms one day with the fact I will be gone. If there is any one else going through the same or any advice I would love to talk. Kind regards Dave 
  • , so sorry to hear your news. What a way to find out! Covid has caused so much extra suffering for cancer patients. Sending lots of love to you and your family.

Onwards and flatwards (don't do hills) and keep walking if you can!

• Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only

Hi David,

Firstly can I just say how sad I am to read your post . When it became apparent that Covid was preventing treatment and the guidance for treatment list emerged I was horrified at the implications . I  am so sad to see how this has impacted your care . 

I hope your pain issues have settled a bit . 

Congratulations on your wedding that is a very lovely thing in the midst of your pain . 

I am also holding out that chemo can impact this greatly for you and get you back to some form of stability . 

You mentioned wishing to chat with others in your situation . I have included the title of a forum  at the top of the page . If you go to “Groups” at the top of the page and look under “ cancer experiences” . You will find this forum . Others from this thread have crossed over to it and found it a safe place to land . It is strictly a patient only forum . They are free to discuss the hard reality of their situation , however they also do a lot of meaningful living and encouragement so it is well worth a visit . They all have different primary cancers and most are having some form of treatment. 

You are also welcome to stay here and we will do our very best to support you too .

Give those precious children a big hug from us too .

Have you started chemo ?

Take special care ,

Court 

• Hi court thank you for taking your time to reply. I start treatment tomorrow I believe its 9 days on 5 days off. 

Its three types of chemo one i believe is designed to target this type of cancer more. I will have a drip tomorrow for a few hours then tables twice a day for the 9 days.

Its better then having the picc line I had last time. I feel it will be easier. The down side is im going to loose my hair which is hard as I've had a beard since i was 16 years old. The hard part is explaing it to the kids as they don't know the in depth details of it. My daughter knows I have cancer but not a real understanding of what it is as she is only 6. 

Kind regards Dave 

• https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/diagnosis/talking-about-cancer/talking-to-children-and-teenagers

Some have found this leaflet to be of help . It’s hard to know where to pitch it with kids at times .

Long time to have had your bread . Part of your identity. Some report only some hair thinning or quick regrowth if  it’s the chemo I think they are putting you on . Hope you are one of them . 

Hoping this treatment not only gives you stability but shrinkage too. I will be thinking of you and hope it goes smoothly tomorrow. 

Take care ,

Court