Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by colon, rectal or small bowel cancer to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Chemoradiotherapy week 1...anyone else just started?

lindypoos
Posted by

Hi, I have cancer of the oesophagus and it is not possible to operate so next week I start chemo and radiotherapy. Not looking forward to it.

Tri_Rich
Posted by

Hi Process, i hope you and your hubby are well. Quick question I’m day 10 in and am too getting - well not chest pains - but a very tight chest when I walk my dog. It’s quite scary, I never get it unless I’m walking outside. Just wondering what vasodpasm is and what the symptoms were? Has his chest been fine since stopping the tablets? Has he been able to cycle again?

Hoping the scan results were positive,

Rich

Tri_Rich
40, Berks 
Husband, Dad of 3 & triathlete
Bowel (Rectal) diagnosed July ‘19
Tri_Rich
Posted by

Sorry to hear that, but good luck with the treatment. 2 weeks in and I feel great - apart from a tight chest when I walk. 

Everyone says it but try to take one day at a time. When they run through the possible side effects, that was the low point for me! Just remember they have to do this but no one gets everything. It’s more precautionary. 

Rich

Tri_Rich
40, Berks 
Tri_Rich
Posted by

Hi Peacock I had my first blood tests yesterday and my white blood cell count has dropped. What did the Makuna honey help with specifically? Thanks

Rich

Tri_Rich
40, Berks 
process
Posted by

Hi Tri Rich

my husband thought he had trapped wind in his chest when it happened the first time, he had just got to the gym, he was unsure what it was, and thought it would pass but was little anxious as oncologist had said about chest pains, we had not heard about vasospasm then. He said just like feeling of wind, not really pain as such.

he got them again when went out later that day so we went to GP he couldn't shed any light, but said to go to AE if happened again, again next day happened when he was out in the garden, nothing dramatic, but went to A E there all day and said all ok, again slight chest pain on Sunday but left it as he had been checked out, Monday slight pain in chest but on Tue we saw oncologist and told her and she immediately stopped chemo, she said it was vasospasm and it doesn't show up on ECG And bloods etc unless you have an ECG as it happens.  He had one more bout of chest pain but very slight when he was out walking the day after stopping chemo, he has had not one chest pain since chemo stopped.

it might be worthwhile speaking to your oncologist it happened to him when he was 10 days in.....better to get it checked out but I hasten to add it is a very rare side effect but it does happen. 

There are other reports of people having that reaction to capecitabine on the bowel cancer uk forum it is something we had not heard of or expected, try not to worry but I would have a word with those looking after you and see what they suggest. I know we didn't want to be. Nuisance, we were very disappointed when he was taken off chemo but the fact he has not had anything happen re his chest before chemo or since stopping chemo suggests it was the Capecitabine to us now and oncologist was right to,stop it.

let us know how you get on and good luck

Peacock62
Posted by

Hi Tri-rich

It seemed to help with the platelets and the neutrophils. They seemed to go back up the following week after I took it really not sure if it's coincidence or not but anything  is worth a try sometimes. 

I have a spoonful a day with natural yoghurt 

Hope this helps

Peacock62 

Tri_Rich
Posted by

Thanks for that, I hate honey lol But bought some yesterday and yoghurt as you suggested. Hope it works I have planned blood tests on Mon and Weds

thanks

Rich

Tri_Rich
40, Berks 
Tri_Rich
Posted by

Thanks for sharing all the detail it’s really useful. I told my Oncologist on Thursday and she referred me to a cardiologist but haven’t heard anything yet. Mine is literally just if I take the dog for a walk and I start to walk up hills etc. I’m very fit so it’s quite worrying, I hope it doesn't cause longer term effects? 

How were his scan results? Hoping they were positive

thanks for the reply 

Rich 

Tri_Rich
40, Berks