Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by colon, rectal or small bowel cancer to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Colon cancer

carthewajc
Posted by

hi my sister has been diagnosed with colon cancer in sigmoid area . Could not do colonoscopy so had cat scan which showed spots on her liver and stomach lining . She’s seeing consultant in a weeks time to go thru treatment they said it’s treatable . Anyone got any experience if this she is so scared she is going to die . She’s only 50 . 

court
Posted by

Hi ,

Welcome to the forum but I am so sorry to hear about your sister . It is very distressing to hear that cancer has spread . If you click on my user name you will see that my mum was given a stage 4 diagnosis ten years ago .

Once cancer has spread it depends more on how you respond to chemo and there is a lot of hope in that . Bowel cancer is in the favourable position of having a lot of different treatment options with many different chemo combinations . Some people stay on maintenance chemo and some have treatment free periods and recommence treatment when the scans dictate . Some people get significant shrinkage and some people achieve stability . Cancer treatment and hospital appointments become part of life and require to be managed , monitored and accommodated . However  some people are not so fortunate but there are new Immunotherapy treatments emerging so there is options opening up in the pipe line .

It is not a situation without hope and there are many good times still to be factored in . The first oncologist appointment is a tough one as they certainly reality check the situation but it’s best to keep in mind some people do well despite a difficult diagnosis and go on to life a good life if not somewhat altered. 

take care and send her out love ,

Court