Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by colon, rectal or small bowel cancer to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Confused about mum's diagnosis

Kimixx
Posted by

My mum was diagnosed with advanced bowel cancer 3 weeks ago. She was taking in as she was in a lot of pain. Within 24 hrs she was diagnosed and had surgery and had a stoma. Since then we have had no other information other than she needs to be strong enough for any treatment. They sent her home last week (I don't think they should have, she was not strong enough) but the couple of days she was home she just got weaker, to the point she couldn't move. She is now back in the hospital with suspected chest infection. She is so weak! Should we have been told more about the cancer by now? I don't even know where to begin to find out...who should I speak to? I'm so confused! Thanks in advance for any advice x

court
Posted by

Hi .

Welcome to the forum . I am so sorry to hear about your mum . It sounds as though she is having a really rough time . 

I think it is perfectly reasonable that you need more information than you have been given . If I was you I would phone the ward she is on and ask if she has a named worker you could speak to as you are concerned . If not could her consultant arrange to speak to you . 

We also have a helpline 0808 808 0000 and they would be more than happy to guide you through this if you would like to give them a call .

I would phone the ward every morning to see how my mum had got on through the night . Don’t be afraid to ask the questions you need answered . 

I hope it picks up for your mum soon . Send her our best wishes .

take care,

Court