Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by colon, rectal or small bowel cancer to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Can anyone understand my colonoscopy report

Junie Moon
Posted by

Hi. I was due to be discussed at the MDT this week but I wasn’t because they still haven’t received my ct scan after 10 days. 

I’m frantic with waiting so I went to see my gp and she gave me a copy of my colonoscopy report

does anyone understand what ”one sessile polyp iia pit V 20 mm means?  I’m going crazy trying to work out how serious this is and the hospital say the ct scan could be weeks before it is read and they won’t have MDT without it. 

Please help if you can. 

Thanks

June

Junie Moon
Posted by

Can anyone understand the severity of the results? Thanks. 

Jherb
Posted by

I don't know what that particular part means, but I wouldnt worry too much about that. They tattoo the parts they would like to investigate further, so I would think that tbe first polyp is nothing to worry about although I certainly no expert.

Good luck,

Jodie

seaspirit44
Posted by

Hi Juniemoon, welcome to the forum, and sorry you find yourself here.

You have a polyp in the lower part of your colon, above the rectum. It is either precancerous or a very early cancer. High grade means it is not very aggressive. If it is cancer it is early and likely to,have a good prognosis. They will have to operate to get rid of the polyp, which is why they have tattooed the colon. They need to know the right place from the outside.

This must sound horribly frightening for you, but it is all doable. They will have a treatment plan for you after they gave had a meeting with all the relevant people in the team.

Please don'tgoogle. It is likely to be inaccurate and out of date.

Whatever it is it has been caught early, hang on to that fact. 

Big hugs xxx

Kareno62
Posted by

Hi June and welcome from me too.

Unfortunately the waiting for scan results is the worst part - once you've got a treatment plan in place you will know what you're dealing with and things will seem a lot easier.

I live in Halifax and my post chemo scan took over 5 weeks to come back and the oncologist was chasing it up to an hour before my appointment - apparently they are outsourced to be dealt with and there was a backlog!

Please don't assume the worse. Why not give the nurses a ring on the number at the bottom of the page and ask them to explain it to you?

Take care and try not to worry - I know that's easier said than done but things are often a lot worse in your mind than in reality and you don't want to make yourself poorly with stress.

Karen x

Mr P
Posted by

Hi June,

You have a 20mm sessile polyp, which means it is flat like a cow pat, mine was pendunculated like a mushroom, mine also was 20mm.

The majority of polyps are non cancerous, mine was part cancerous and part clear it was on the turn so to speak,

You will probably need a erm procedure to remove the polyp, basically they use the scope which you had on your colonoscopy and injected the polyp with saline type fluid to raise the polyp from the bowel lining.

They then put a wire loop around the base of the polyp and snare it off sending an electric pulse at the same time to cautourise the area and help stop any bleeding.

I needed clips putting in to stem the bleeding.

Sometimes they need to take away the polyp in pieces due to the size. Mine was taken off in 3 pieces.

I had gas and air and never felt a thing so don’t worry, you can also opt for sedation which relaxes you, but will need someone to take you home.

Once the polyp has been removed it will be sent for testing, the tattoo is to mark the area in case surgery is needed it is a standard procedure for large polyps.

Once you have your CT scan results you will get an invite to discuss your results and inform you of any further treatment.

Be positive and don’t google on sites other than NHS or cancer uk..

John P

Junie Moon
Posted by

Many thanks for responding Jodie. 

June x

Junie Moon
Posted by

Many thanks for responding and helping to put my mind at rest x

Junie Moon
Posted by

Five weeks for a scan result! Many thanks for explaining this to me. At least now I understand the process and that I need to keep calm if I haven’t heard anything next week xx

Junie Moon
Posted by

Many thanks for all this information John xx

Mr P
Posted by

Your welcome June,

Please feel free to ask anything your not sure about.

Try to be positive and not to worry about things which may not be.

John P