I’m new to this forum and have a Stoma and have had it for 17 years, I’m 86.

• 3 replies
  • 160 subscribers

Not sure what to add other than I don’t allow myself to suffer from my Stoma, I play golf twice a week and holiday abroad at least twice a year an£ have a great support GP and a great support company who provides me with all my bits and pieces together with a number of Stoma Nurses available to consult with.

• Hey Bon

Well done you.  It's great to read such a positive post.  Maybe you'd like to join us on the stoma forum as I'm sure you'd be able to offer lots of support and advice to others.  Here is the link -

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../ileostomy-and-colostomy-discussions-forum

Keep doing what you're doing.  It's clearly working!

Best wishes

• Hi Bon

Thanks for posting your experience here. It’s inspirational for us to hear that your Stoma does not control your enjoyment in life. I am striving to be the same. I’m only ten months on but I really feel I’m better now than I was for so long when that cancer was dragging me down. My energy levels are rising and heck this weekend I’ve been on a bouncy castle and trampoline. Yes I was with my grandchildren so I had a good excuse. 
     keep enjoying your golf 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi

I've had a stoma (I call him Eddie Stomart) since Feb 2021 and despite the initial fears about who might notice and perhaps judge, I now live my life in partnership with Eddie who is in so many ways, a relief!, and my new and very supportive girlfriend. 

I didn't have symptoms for long but was unwell for long enough to know that now, life is sooo much better!

For those about to experience the life changing op, I'd say just be positive, be pragmatic, embrace the situation and live and love life. 

I'm 58 btw

Good luck Four leaf cloverThumbsup