Husbands pre op tomorrow

• 10 replies
  • 162 subscribers

Hi last week my husband saw the surgeon he told us that he will definitely need chemotherapy after he's op.

Pre op is tomorrow and today my husband has just discovered a lump in he's neck above the Adams apple obviously I will mention this tomorrow at the appointment but I was just wondering what the pre op usually entails do they usually do blood tests and scans? I'm so worried about this lump I'm hoping they will be able to shine some light on it tomorrow and if they do blood tests and it is something as simple as an infection they would pick this up on a blood test and treat him before the operation which is on the 19th April I'm sorry anxious about the whole thing sorry to ramble on. Xx

• Oh  

Just want to say well done to your husband  he has endured a lot getting to this point .

Of course you are nervous it’s only natural but I would hold on firmly to the fact his scans have been good . His body has just dealt with chemo and will be more susceptible to infections just now . I am sure they will put his mind at rest tomorrow.

Hopefully someone else can shine a light on the pre op but I think it was more bloods , blood pressure couple of tests etc . No other scans at that stage . 

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thank you court, he's done really well I'm very proud of him.

The surgeon dropped a bomb on.us last week he informed us that at first they didn't think chemotherapy would work but gave him it due to he's age and wanted to everything the could but luckily it shrunk it this was hard to hear but obviously a relief too.

Will be so glad once he has the op and the chemo and he can start getting back to normal x

• Oh my goodness , well thank goodness he is chemo responsive then and put paid to that !

Surgery here he comes !

Found out a bit more about the pre op for you .

May be a nurse lead service and they will take a medical history , bloods etc and give you some information about the surgery and what to expect in the immediate recovery period . If you want the gland checked you could maybe ask them to contact the surgeon if he wants reassurance in that regard but hoping it’s popped back down tomorrow. 

Normally I would have been concerned for a relative facing surgery but I still feel a bit guilty at how happy we were that night dropping her off . Such a relief and very grateful she had made it to surgery so I know exactly what you mean ! 
    All the best for tomorrow.

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much court much appreciated you're a God send to this group!

I know what you mean it will be such a relief dropping him off Monday morning knowing that they are going to be taking the horrid thing out of him x

• Hi, , if I remember correctly, the pre op involves, this was pre covid,

Blood pressure check and bloods taken, ECG, height and weight, swabs taken to check for MRSA, sometimes MSSA as well, paperwork checked, you may be given the consent forms to take away, read, and sign, remembering to take them back on op day! Think that's it. All basic stuff to check you are ok for the anesthetic. Don't recall seeing a doctor, but you are asked if you have any questions so maybe mention the lump then. No scans, but mine were current.

Hope that helps a little.

• Thank you Gemmary. Will definitely mention the lump. Xx

• Hi, , hope all went well today. 

• Hi all went well thank you. They weren't concerned about the lump and the op is booked in for Monday morning x

• Great news 

He is on his way ! Hope you both can do something relaxing this weekend and know next week despite the process, he will be on his road to full recovery and a much brighter summer .

All this during a pandemic too! Your both made of tough stuff !

Court

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you court. We're hoping to go for a meal this weekend and do something nice with the children. It does feel like we are getting closer to the end now. X