Colonoscopy

• 14 replies
  • 138 subscribers

UPDATE: I had my colonoscopy today, I’m pleased to say that I got the all clear, which I’m very surprised about.

QUESTION: How long should a colonoscopy last? Mine was only 8 minutes which I was very surprised about as the nurse informed me that it would be between 30-45 minutes.

hi all, hope it’s ok that I’m here.

(little bit about me, then TMI about my symptoms)

Im 31 and a mother of 2 little girls (my absolute world) 

I have been put on the 2-week wait pathway for bowel cancer. I first contacted my GP after several weeks of bowel habit change and blood in stool, I have also been struggling with bloating, exhaustion and feeling like I still need to go when I don’t. I can’t really say if I have unintentionally lost weight as I have had gastric surgery so I have lost 9st but I stopped losing weight for a while but the weight-loss has started again and I have lost about 10lb in the last month.

I know my symptoms can be a sign of other more likely issues (which I’m hoping for) but I can’t seem to shake the feeling that I’m going to be told it’s cancer.

I have done a stool sample and was told it was positive for blood which I knew it would be but I was also told that I had signs of inflammation but it was borderline, this has me thinking that it could be an IBD but also has me thinking that if it was then it wouldn’t be borderline.

I haven’t had my FIT results back yet.

I have a colonoscopy booked for Sunday so I’m hoping I’ll have answers soon but do you find out there and then if they find something or will I need to wait to know? 

Also, sorry if this makes no sense, my brain works faster than my thumbs Rofl

Much love

Poe xx

• Sending ((hugs)) , . Sometimes if the doctor doing the colonoscopy is very experienced they may make the call on the day, good or bad. BUT they need to be sure, so often there is a wait. Better be accurate than false info. 

• Thank you for your reply, do you know if they would tell you if they were concerned and are running more tests? I’m assuming so, but I can also imagine them saying ‘you’ll receive your results in ‘x’ amount of weeks’ and I think that would drive me crazy xx

• Hi . I’ve had 2 colonoscopies and was told what they felt was the outcome afterwards. My first colonoscopy was pre-diagnosis and I was watching it on the screen - youre semi-sedated so aware of what’s going on but very relaxed - and I saw a bloody mass and said ‘ooh that doesn’t look very good’. There was then a lot of ‘grab and snip’ mentioned - didn’t feel a thing - as they took biopsies to send off for testing. I then met with someone afterwards who advised that they were 99% sure it was cancer but the biopsies would confirm.

My second was post treatment last year and I could see on the screen that there was nothing untoward and the nurse saw me afterwards and said everything was fine and gave me a printout showing what they’d see and done.

Only 1 in 10 colonoscopies turn out to be cancer - there are lots of things that have similar symptoms like ibd, crohns, colitis, diverticulitis. I won’t tell you not to worry because I know it’s easier said than done but thoughts are not facts. Try and distract yourself by doing fun things with your lovely 2 girls and deal with Sunday nearer the time

Please let us know how you get on?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • It seems to depend on the hospital.some give results straight away,others take time.so dont read anything into the time frame re results.

All the best

Kath

• Thank you for your reply, I received my bowel prep in the post today whilst I was at work and the letter does confirm that they will discuss any findings with me on the day so that’s good. I’m trying really hard not to worry about Sunday too much. I don’t know how to say this without sounding daft but I’m really scared that I don’t have life insurance and I end up panicking that I’m going to end up leaving my family stranded and struggling (sounds really daft when I put it into words).

I will give an update with my results and in the meantime I’ll keep myself busy with my girls

thanks again for your reply xx

• Good morning poe90.  Sending you lots of love as this is such a horrid time waiting and worrying about what could be going on.  A few ladies on here have offered me some truly amazing advice. Take one day at a time.

The preparation stuff is unpleasant but it’s for a good reason-so they can use the camera to check the full length of your bowel. It’s quite amazing really-as you so literally watch it on a screen, although the sedation meant I was asleep through most of it!  

whatever the news, the people on here are around to support uou.  I have found great comfort in this group and still do.  I don’t think I would have coped with the past few weeks without them.

Best of luck and be thinking of you.  Lou x

• You mention sedation.you dont have to have it.many people dont.

Kath

• This is true - definitely personal choice - they offer it to you when they first get you in the room.  Personally im glad I did x

• UPDATE: I had my colonoscopy today, I’m pleased to say that I got the all clear, which I’m very surprised about.

QUESTION: How long should a colonoscopy last? Mine was only 8 minutes which I was very surprised about as the nurse informed me that it would be between 30-45 minutes.

• Great news . Maybe if you have nothing to be removed it’s much quicker .

You must be delighted.

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000