Chemo care ! Top Tips:-

• 101 replies
  • 166 subscribers

Wondered about pulling together some of the tips that people share that may be of use to others preparing to start chemotherapy! 

Court 

• . How about Chemo Care? Top tips:-

Take a warm drink to your appointment

Take a scarf and gloves to your appointment

Heat pack/wheat bag to soothe tender arm

Good moisturiser for hands and feet eg. Aveeno with Shea butter, Udderly smooth

Keep gloves with grips on by the fridge for getting things out

Make sure all drinks are room temperature or above

Watch out for ‘cold things’ - sometimes cutlery or the toilet handle can give you a tingle

First bite syndrome - sharp pain up by ear when taking a first bite - take a small bite initially then your next bite should be ok

Have a thermometer in the house

Keep a diary of side effects and how you’re feeling. Arrange treats for your good days

Ring the 24 hour helpline if you’re worried - it’s not just for emergencies 

Talk to the nurses - there are a lot of different pills and potions so if 1 antisickness med doesn’t work then don’t suffer in silence - the next one might! 

www.macmillan.org.uk/.../xelox-or-capox

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Much better 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• My hot water bottle was my friend during the colder months! A hit of instant heat stopped the cold tingles.

• My mum used to travel to her chemo/ scans with a hot water bottle in a wee bag ! She was convinced it gave better access to her veins if her arm was warm. She had chemo in cold months too!

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• At my very first one the nurse put a big cardboard bowl of hot water in front of me and said ‘back in 5 minutes’. When she came back I told her I’d only managed to drink half of it and could I have a bit longer?! She was mortified when she realised it was my first time but relieved that I was joking! x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Joylove it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Have chemo in the summer (not always possible, I admit) if having Oxaliplatin.

CBD oil helps a lot, particularly with nausea and sleep.

Take anti-sickness in the evening as it helps when you have to have breakfast with your capecitabine.

The whole process is rubbish so accept as much help as you can.

• Always clean teeth with luke warm water not cold

• Following on from  if you have to prepare for chemo during the colder months and have a longer car journey home you can actually get heated blankets for the car !

Might we worthwhile !

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Nairns stem ginger oat biscuits have helped me with nausea.  They are not too sugary and made with wholegrain oats. I even nibble on them through the night if I wake feeling slightly sick.