Getting a port

Hi I’m getting a port fitted tomorrow to start chemo the day after, I am terrified to say the least is there anyone who can share their experiences with me please .

• Hi 

I will tag in  as she has mentioned this in the past . Hopefully she will see it before you go . I have to say it is mentioned here a lot and people seem to find it helpful and a bit easier .

Hope it goes well tomorrow.

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi . I had a picc line which is inserted in the arm rather than a port which I think is in the chest? The fitting was painless and the nurses were very kind and reassuring. My veins were in a bit of a state by the time I got round to chemo but the picc line was an absolute godsend - so much easier and no painful arm after the IV session. 

Hope this helps and please let us know how it goes?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi   I hope the fitting of the port went OK today. I have one and they are a brilliant piece of kit, they sit under the skin in the chest and when it's not in use you don't even know its there.  Hopefully by now it's all done and you are back home.x

• Thank you so much for your reply I had it fitted this afternoon and it wasn’t as bad as I thought xxx

• Thank you Karen I had it fitted today and it wasn’t as bad as I thought , start chemo tomorrow so fingers crossed hope your doing well and thank you xxx

• Hi Milsy

Note this post was 18 days ago but i had a port fitted and think it's great, no messing I find it more comfortable than canulars and so far so good. Quite discreet and can wear any clothes without any embarrassment. I hope you find the experience as good.

Regards

Smo Grin

• Had a port filled a couple of days ago. Its still very tender to touch if I stretch too much. I guess this is normal enough? Glad I got it though....

PS - Its a power port, not a port a cath.  i dunno the difference!

• Hi Bobb

Finding the port really good, no additional needles, except when the bloods are done before chemo. Very comfortable, just minor discomfort during healing, don't know it's there once healed. 

Hope your chemo goes well and the port works for you as well as it is working for me.

Regards

SMO