Colostomy Bag, Semi Permanent but no one seems to have told my Anus!!

Hello,

On 26th April, following long treatments for Bowel Cancer, I had surgery to remove the remaining cancer tumour from my lower bowel. Due to the tumours being much closer to the top of my anus that the surgeon had originally hoped, I have been left with a pseudo permanent stoma which I am, after three weeks of some disasters becoming used to life with. The initial random nature of bag filling and emptying, food tolerances and intolerances , have in the last few days stabilised a little more and I’m being to face future life with a bit more confidence about the everyday nature of what I now have. It’s really no big deal!

The ongoing problem I have though, is that having disconnected my anus from my bowel, ( and this likely to actually be a permanent situation ), no one seems to have sent the appropriate memo to my anus to let it know it’s services are no longer needed!! Consequently, and particularly during the night giving great loss of sleep, I am awoken by an urge to purge my bowel through my anus in the old way, entirely separate from my bag filling activities.

Yes, I know that this is normal, and that the anus is still doing its best to function, even though it’s got nothing to work with. I know it’s only clear mucous that is coming through, but I wonder whether I have to put up with this for ever or whether there is some other option. My wife is kindly letting me use some of her sanitary wear, which is of course alien for me, but it’s better than semi incontinence.

Anyone got any thoughts?

RowdeScholar

• Hi . Good to hear that you’re recovering well and getting used to your colostomy. There’s been a few people suffering from mucus discharge so you might like to have a look at this post on the Ileostomy, Colostomy and Stoma Support board?

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../mucous-leakage-from-bottom

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thanks for this link, Karen. Lots of useful entries here although quite disappointing to understand that this is something that apparently sufferers have to just get on with. Of course, I feel very lucky to have had the treatment I’ve already received and the prospect of a future life, albeit with a pouch is so much better than the prognosis my surgeon now admits to, ie that I would not have been expect to survive beyond October last year.

Perhaps if enough people indicate that there should be proper solution to this, even a surgical solution, then something will change for the good. For now, I guess, I just keep on living with it.