Stage 4 ! The unexpected hits you between the eyes!

Think everyone here can associate with the overwhelming emotions that come with a cancer diagnosis in a family . The pace of change is fast  and in a stage four setting each procedure and consultation just kept getting worse and putting distance between the safety of the life that used to be and the one that was emerging and in the early days I kept wondering how on Earth did she end up here , going from being asymptomatic to taking part in the newly rolled out bowel screening program and ending up inoperable only a few weeks later ! 
I think we all stopped looking for a cure and focused on living from scan to scan . Over 35 scans later a deep appreciation for the way they have  contributed to my mum’s survival surfaced . She carved out a good life for herself but thought it would always be part of her life !

I am cleaning out her attic as it will come as no surprise that she is frequently found dangling from unsafe ladders despite neuropathy and we need to act! A proper staircase needs to go in ! 
The hospital consultant rang whilst I was up there and what a surprise! They congratulated her for reaching five years without a further recurrence. Twelve years of surviving stage 4 cancer and all she has endured . They don’t  expect to see further disease , don’t need to scan and could be discharged but they will phone her in a year to check up on her as she is not quite ready to cut all ties ! 
They consider her “ cured” ! Well done mum and many , many thanks to her wonderful team ! We shall in a strange way miss you all !

Hope it brings a little encouragement to those going through the very difficult period of being diagnosed!

Take care ,

Court