Bone, secondary cancer

Secondary bone cancer is cancer that has spread to the bones from a primary cancer somewhere else in the body. This group is for people affected by secondary bone cancer to share experiences and get support.

Prognosis of Vertebrae Cancer

Mumps
Posted by

Hello,

I have been diagnosed with vertebrae cancer...matastised from breast cancer.  I am having a spinal scan this week to determine how to go in for a biopsy.   I live in Ecuador and am a member of their social medicine.  Oncologist suggests meds to slow down the spread.

My questions are how big an operation is needed for the biopsy and what can I expect in the future as far as problems.

Ellieellie
Posted by

Hello

I have the secondary cancer in the bones in my back.  I had a biopsy on my back. I didnt need an operation. They just numbed the area and took the sample,. I did have a scan for them to determine where to go in. All I felt was some pressure.  I was able to home half an hour later. Obviously, we are all on different medications but they will want to slow down and minimize any spread. This a great site to come on. Wishing you well.

Mumps
Posted by

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response.

What kind of a prognosis did they give you?  

Here in Ecuador they don't talk about "cancer"...so getting information is difficult.  They are not accustomed to North American directness.  

I am hoping the oncologist will be a bit more forthcoming.

Best wishes to you!

Ellieellie
Posted by

Hello

They gave me a prognosis of 5 to 10 years. My cancer hasnt spread further thanks to the meds I am on. I think your cancer is treatable but not curable like mine.  Sorry I can't answer more x

Peebee2
Posted by

Hiya Ellie, we have all been a tad quite past few weeks hope all is well with everybod.

i haven’t been too clever I had some chest pain and breathlessness which I thought was off the new chemo I’m on capecitabine so suffered for a few days then popped along to chemo unit for some advice and they blue lighted me to south tees, and they kept me in for 3 days I had scans and x rays and they thought it was my heart as it was beating at 125 instead of between 60-70 but I didn’t t feel any different, scan showed no clot they thought it could be another PE as my blood test from that showed elevated levels of something that indicates a blood clot, I give myself daily injections if tinzaparin so was surprised they were looking but they said they have seen some cases lately of people who are injectecting to get another PE at the same time, so they put it down to muscular skeletal pain I was getting the most pain in my sternum and ribs? I’d taken myself off the chemo as the leaflet advised, so I was discharged and seen my oncologist following week who was happy after looking at my results it wasn’t my heart and restarted my chemo so 6 days in and I’m getting the chest/back and muscular pain again, I hope this doesn’t mean I have to stop but can’t go on with the pain so I’m gonna have to make the call to her and see what she says, hope this finds you all well, love Jo xx 

Ellieellie
Posted by

Hi

So sorry that you have been having such a rough time. Its should as though you have really been through the mill. Hope you can get some relief soon and that the Oncologist comes up with something.  Take care of yourself. Love Ellie x

Peebee2
Posted by

Thanks Ellie,

I’m only 6 days into this cycle of capecitabine so I don’t know what she will do,  I’ve also been reading about costochondritis and that is the symptoms ive got so don’t know if the chemo has triggered it or it’s just started itself

love Jo xx