Bone, secondary cancer

Secondary bone cancer is cancer that has spread to the bones from a primary cancer somewhere else in the body. This group is for people affected by secondary bone cancer to share experiences and get support.

Mums cancer journey

Electricdawn
Posted by

Hi there, this is my first post. Mum was being treated for a year for a trapped nerve in her neck despite having lost over two stone and dropping down to 5 and a half stone. She was even asked by one doctor if she was eating or thought she was anorexic like my sister! Mum had kept asking for an mri and eventually after a year she got one just on her neck and was rushed to hospital because she had nerve compression causd bu a tumour inher cervical spine. They did a more extensive mri and found that secondary lung cancer had spread all down her spine causing nerve damage to her left arm and fracture in her lumbar spine. Two weeks prior to being diagnosed she was still shopping and active although in pain. She has had 2 lots of radiotherapy but they are not going to offer anything else as it has spread too far. She ia main carer for my dad who has copd and is on home oxygen. She cant climb stairs anymore so her bed is in the living room and dads is in the dining room. 

Its lucky i have time off work due to hand surgery because i can take a bus and train 3 times a week and do shopping and washing.

Mum still cooks ...just ready meals ans is getting around with a little trolley.

I founs it so hard yesterday when she said..."am i going to die...i don't want to die, I'm not ready yet" 

My heart is breaking for her.

krystyna
Posted by

Oh my heart is breaking for you and your family. Your mum should have had a lot more time - why didn't they investigate her more thoroughly???  I only hope she has a lot of pain meds, and a lot of support from your Macmillan nurse, they are super.  What a dreadful situation for you all; she must be so angry, as well as sad.

Please keep on posting here, it does help to let it out.  I'll be thinking of you a lot and just hoping things settle a bit for you all.  

Very best wishes,  Krystyna

For I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.  And miles to go before I sleep.      Robert Frost