Bone, secondary cancer

Secondary bone cancer is cancer that has spread to the bones from a primary cancer somewhere else in the body. This group is for people affected by secondary bone cancer to share experiences and get support.

CT scan

Ellieellie
Posted by

Hello

Had a phone call this afternoon  from my Consultant.  I was told that one of my tumour markers had doubled so now she wants a scan to see what is happening.  She asked if in had any pain and I was able to answer that I did not, just a slight ache in my back which comes and goes. She said it had gone up once but that was no cause for concern but because it has gone up twice as He needs to investigate. The scan won't be until January so now I have the whole of Christmas to worry about it.  As I am having private treatment the scan could be scheduled quickly but because everything else seems fine and I feel ok she feels it can wait and she is comfortable with this.  It's hard though to feel positive. My original breast cancer was 2010 and then February this year I found out it has gone to my bones in my back,  I am keep thinking this could be my last Christmas and then i give myself a talking to and tell myself to stop it.

I am so grateful to have a site like this to vent a bit. While people say they understand my feelings, they don't and only people going through the same scenario can appreciate how we all feel.

lily0403
Posted by

Hello. Are you on any treatment at the moment? I too have BC in the bones. Im on tamoxifen and denosumab. My primary cancer was found in November 2016 and mets were discovered in feb 2017. They then found a second primary in my left breast in september so have had another mastectomy. I cope with the bone pain with paracetamol and tramadol. This wont be your last christmas bone metastases can be contolled for years. We are all here to support you. This is a great place to vent. Xxx

Ellieellie
Posted by

Hello

Yes, I am on Ibrance, denosumab and fulversant.  X

lily0403
Posted by

Dont have any experience with lbrance or fulversant. But im sure they are effective.  I hope you find the time to relax and enjoy a bit of Christmas. Xx

Peebee2
Posted by

Hey, your allowed  a wobble, it gets to us all at some point, I hope your scan is before Christmas as the waiting is the worst, I had increased pain before my scan two weeks ago so was expecting the worst and it turned out not to be the case at all, all stable and no progression... our minds either help or hinder us sometimes, but stay strong Ellie and I’m sending you a big hug xx 

jo xx 

krystyna
Posted by

Aw I know exactly what’s going on in your mind as I am just the same......but hey! I was convinced last Christmas was just that for me and here I am, hunting for the cards that I’m sure I had stashed somewhere. I too am waiting for a scan, my markers were down last time  they were checked but I’m convinced they will be up, as I’ve been off denusonab for two months cos of dental problems. I don’tk now whether to advise you to get the scan sooner, or wait and just say to yourself,well she’s not worried and she’s the expert....I think trust your oncologist, can you  email her, even through someone else like Macmillan nurse? And tell her you’re tearing your hair out with worryn(assuming you’ve got hair). I can communicate through the day centre nurses who administer the chemo and injections and that’s a real help.

i. Not going to patronise you with ‘be brave, be strong’ as you know you’ve got to be and it’s flipping difficult, keep writing here and folk will be in touch.

Love to you, Krystyna xx

For I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.  And miles to go before I sleep.      Robert Frost

Ellieellie
Posted by

Hello

Thank you. I have an appt on the 11th Dec so will speak to the nurses. My problem is if I'm honest, is that I am a coward. I want to know but at the same time  don't. I try to ignore it and pretend to myself that this is not happening to me.  I  cant change anything and I think if she was very concerned that I would be having to sooner.  Just hate hate all of this and how it has changed and affected my life and those around me.

krystyna
Posted by

You write my feelings exactly!  Glad you have an appointment on 11th. I find the nurses are wonderful, answer all my questions and give me tissues when I greet (Scots for cry!) and I hate hate it all too. We just have to ‘take control of our circumstances or they take control of you’ - not my quote, don’t know where my old man read it, but it’s a good one. I’m a coward too,pass me a bucket of sand and my head will be firmly wedged in it.

Let’s try to take control together......get those Christmas cards on the go,and do some internet shopping!!

love, Krystyna.

For I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.  And miles to go before I sleep.      Robert Frost