Bone, secondary cancer

Secondary bone cancer is cancer that has spread to the bones from a primary cancer somewhere else in the body. This group is for people affected by secondary bone cancer to share experiences and get support.

so weary and tired of pain still waiting for treatment

my3girls
Posted by

I am so tired and weary of all the pain and still treatment to start. Pain started back in late May,saw my first doc 4 June rub this cream on and take paracetamol, explained my history breast cancer 2012, next doc same again diferent cream told him pain was worse and told  history again, next doc referred me for an xray said maybe refer me to breast clinic depending on result was given stronger pain killers also i was repeatedly vomiting at this point. xray duly came back Aug 8.I had seen doc twice in between  begging for stronger pain killers and anti sickness . Xray showed a fracture at top of my spine, referred to Physio who said it was caused by a slightly curved spine and was nothing sinister would refer me for a mri scan which I had 3 weeks later and hold on waited another 4 weeks for result!!! Doc finally woke up, fractures to the spine top and bottom and 4 crushed vertebrae, sorry you have bone mets from your breast cancer. Appointments arranged but to date not started treatment yet, but to be fair I was in hospital for 2 weeks with infected gall bladder, Sorry to be so long winded but I just needed to get it off my chest. I  have gone from May to November in worsening pain, from being upright to barely able to walk even with a zimmer, cant cook cos I am unable to stand long enough, no housework, virtually housebound and wonder will the pain ever stop. I am to have radiotherapy in the next 5 weeks no appointment as yet. Can anyone tell me if the radiotherapy help with the pain or am I waiting for miracles?

Peebee2
Posted by

Hey.... take a breath, I think this pain has got to you so badly you can’t think straight.... 

I was like you also but I was bent the other way, I have mets in most of my spine, sacrum, si joints and a rib... my pain was unbearable and I was back and forward to gp like you but let’s get to the radiotherapy, I can tell you that you should feel so much better after you have had it, you might feel pain and breathing can be a bit laboured but this is a side effect off the treatment and it’s usually gone within 24 hrs, if they offer morphine if your not taking it already, please take it! and within two weeks I was walking upright and felt fantastic!!! I felt like I had my life back and didn’t have to explain to everyone why I was walking like I was, I just became me again. 

I wish you all the luck in the world and if you feel better ask if they can bring your radiotherapy forward... keep in touch 

Jo xx 

my3girls
Posted by

Hi Jo thankyou so much for that, I certainly hope thats how it will be, pamela xx

Button16
Posted by

Hi,

Thats such a long time to be in pain! I had so much pain in my hip and walked around for 9 months (i was pregnant at the time so it was pit down to that) turns out it was fractured. The radiotherapy helped so much with the pain.

It helped kill the cancer cells which allowed the fracture to heal so now i can  walk unaided. 

I hope your date comes through soon and it works.

X

Lass
Posted by

Hey there,

You're def not waiting for miracles. I've heard that for some people, the pain is worse right afterwards, so don't be discouraged if it is, but then eases up and just keeps on going until some folks get back to 'normal' again.

I can totally understand your frustration at the moment though, because since July my mobility has slowly been getting worse and worse. I too can barely stand and walk, and just going up the stairs and down again for a wee sends my heart rate up to the high 140's and makes me pant like I've run a race. July I was hobbling around London and seeing all I could. Now? I can't even stand and cook a meal in one go. I've wanted to make French Onion soup for over 2 weeks now, but I can't chop the onions!

So I totally get what might be going around in your head at the minute, and my fingers are crossed tightly that the radiotherapy works out for you!!

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Button16
Posted by

Hi Lass

Sounds like you've had a rough couple of months! You must be bad if you cant cook!!! You could always cheat and buy chopped onions?

I hope they can sort out the heart rate and pain.

Button x

my3girls
Posted by

Hi to all that replied, it cheered me up, as for the cooking hubby is a good cook,( I tought him ) so I cant complain. I cant bring radio forward as iv,e not even got a date yet. Hope everyone can be sorted out soon,  Pamela xx

krystyna
Posted by

Hello. Let me say first of all - the radiotherapy will help a great deal. I read your post with horror - so sorry for all your pain, and your experience with NHS (I assume England?) appals me.  Let me compare and contrast, as they used to say in school essays! my 'journey' as my issues mirror yours.

Long story  leading up to -  severe pain in back drove me to GP. X ray the following day as we have a walk-in no appointment set up at the local hospital. GP phoned the following week saying there was something he didn't like the look of, arranged a CT scan for the following week. Had the scan on the Monday, Wednesday the surgery phoned to tell me to come and see the GP the next day, told it was cancer...aaaghhhh.. he suggested I came back the following day with hubby to clarify it all. I then saw a consultant the following Thursday, who arranged for me to start radiotherapy immediately, and follow with chemotherapy. So I was 'measured' on the Friday, the day after the consultation, and radiotherapy the following week.

I thank my lucky stars every day that I live in Scotland.  As you can see, the treatment I received and continue to receive is exceptionally good. I deeply hope your treatment starts soon. It will help, I promise, and let's hope them lot down there wake up and stop dismissing symptoms such as yours. I hear from friends down South of cancellations and changes in appointments being routine; I know the NHS is on its knees, but some intelligent action at the beginning of your search, and acknowledgment of your previous breast cancer -( I too had B,C. in 2014 and that alerted the GP, I didn't know anything about possible mets.) would have got things moving surely.

I wish you speedy treatment from now on.

For I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.  And miles to go before I sleep.      Robert Frost

my3girls
Posted by

thankyou for all your replies, sorry for my late one,  I ended up in hospital after a phone call requesting me to go for tests after a poor blood test, this was 15 November , I walked into hospital using a zimmer frame and they kept me in, and not explaining why, I quickly deterioated and was unable to get out of bed unaided. The Macmillan nurse (thank god) came to  my rescue and managed to get me a bed in our local hospice and they performed miracles and got my pain under control, got me walking again and fit to have  radiotherapy , which I am happy to say I had 11 Dec. and am now relaxing at home from 13 Dec, and I feel great. I do have more movement already and hope for more but not too greedy this will do for now. Thankyou all for your encouregment and thanyou Macmillan. xxxx Pam

Moggiington
Posted by

So nice to read this update, really pleased for you. It’s given me hope that my dad's pain can be controlled hopefully as since his last bout of radiotherapy nov 1st, he’s still in pain...only steroids seem too help and the doctors keep stopping these as they say it can’t be a long term solution. All the best x 

Melie
Posted by

So glad to read the update. Happy Holidays!