I am a female childhood cancer survivor (bone cancer) AMA!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

I was diagnosed with a non genetic bone cancer, Osteosarcoma, at age 13. I was treated with 1 year of chemotherapy and many surgeries, including a limb sparing surgery where as an alternative to amputating my leg they replaced my bone with a titanium rod. I now wear a brace to walk and have a very noticeable scar. I have always preferred for people to ask questions openly instead of stare at my leg. I’m very comfortable answering questions about my experience and often give speeches on the subject. I am now 23 years old and 10 years cancer free. AMA. 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

Thanks very much for telling us about your experiences with bone cancer and for offering to help answer people's questions. Probably the best way to do this is to pop back every so often and look for new posts asking for help.

When you have a minute, it would be great if you could pop something about your journey into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting this! 

I’m also a childhood bone cancer survivor (osteosarcoma in 2006, with reoccurrences in 2009 and 2011) and had a limb saving surgery on my wrist. I’m also now in my 10th year of remission but still struggling with feeling misunderstood and alone at times.

I would love to chat to you if that’s something you’d be happy to do! I’m 28 now and it’s difficult to find people a similar age with similar experiences to relate to. I totally understand if not but thought I’d throw it out there!

hope you’re as okay as can be today! 
    X