Bladder cancer

A place for people affected by bladder cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Anyone had a reaction to the CT scan contrast dye?

Wilbert
Posted by

Thanks Sue it was his 2 yearly check .Biopsy Monday of a dark patch found at last flexi in November We asked if we should cancel our 4week holiday but were told no it could wait as possibly damage from 24 bcg so hopefully all will be ok However as Monday approaches anxiety  ramps up 

Hope all good with you

love 

Wilbert 

foxbrush
Posted by

Hi Jane, last scan they wouldn't let me have the dye but surgeon wants it if possible for the one this Sunday.

The dye is iodine based but I have not suffered a reaction as a kid when iodine was applied as a topical treatment .

winkers60
Posted by

I didn't know I was sensitive to iodine until I looked after a patient who needed an iodine based treatment in his bath.I wish you well for your scan.Jane XX

Inanna
Posted by

Wilbert

I hope all goes well on Monday

Love Inanna

I know that I don't know
sueCC
Posted by

Wilbert, most likely it’s due to BCG cos that’s a lot he’s had, he’s done so well. So yes go on your holiday and enjoy. We go to Benidorm on Sat just for a week and the weather forecasts not good lol x 

Sue Xx
Inanna
Posted by

Hi Sue

Hope the weather improves for your holiday.  I lived in Benidorm years ago in the last century, great days

Love Inanna

I know that I don't know
BLANKET
Posted by

I know I'm a bit late but I had a reaction to the red dye from the CT scan some years back, although I'd had the scan previously with no effects.   Within half hour my eyes began watering so I could barely open them, & my throat felt like it was closing up.  I rang the hospital & they said it was a slight reaction, I mentioned it to a nurse later on & she said it was anaphlaxis.  They told me not to have another as there's other tests they can do.  I felt so ill with it.

foxbrush
Posted by

Following my second TURBT recently I needed another ct scan and surgeon requested it with contrast dye.  Scan peeps said no and had the scan without which was of no use.

Now having a PET scan, which I imagine is far more expensive and time consuming.

Cant believe there is no other contrast dye available. On line various articles say they can give medication before or after to help counteract problem, yet seems not available .

Puzzled. 

winkers60
Posted by

I wonder if it differs between hospitals or what type of scan you are having ? I’m also allergic to the contrast & had a recent scan without it.In the 1990’s I had a brain scan in Leeds & they used a different type of dye and I was ok with that one.I’m still waiting for the scan results.love Jane xx