Bladder cancer

A place for people affected by bladder cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Diatherm tomorrow.

foxbrush
Posted by

Had a TURBT last year and following a cystoscopy another tumour was found.

Not having a TURBT as such but listed as Biopsy and Diathermy.

I presume that is the same ,just using the Diathermy to burn away the tumour..

Not heard of this before, I caused  confusion at my pre assessment yesterday as I said I was having a TURBT.  Checked my paperwork and it did say that it was diathermy  but hidden in all the bumph.

winkers60
Posted by

Hi Foxbrush,I have always understood it to be the same.Over the years I have had diathermy for bladder ulcers and reddened patches (non cancerous).Last year when I went back to have the obstruction removed the urologist said that he didn't know what to put on the consent form.He said that he couldn't write TURBT as I didn't have cancer.I said that I usually had the procedure under a TURBT.My obstruction ended up being bladder cancer anyway.Each time I have been in they explained that the areas would be lasered off.I have so much urology paperwork it's had to be transferred into a much bigger file ! I hope your procedure goes well.Love and best wishes.Jane XXX

foxbrush
Posted by

Thanks Jane, that settles my mind. As always its not until you leave the appointment you see the details and can't ask questions, maybe just me though.???

What I saw when I had my cystoscopy certainly looked like a tumour and so as long as that goes, I will be happy.

best regards john

winkers60
Posted by

Hi John.If you google diathermy it mentions TURBT.I know it involves burning off the suspicious areas.I am a great one for asking questions so I will ask the urologist on Tuesday.Best wishes for your procedure and a speedy recovery.Love Jane XX

foxbrush
Posted by

Thanks Jane, it is confusing as it says that a TURBT can be done with Diathermy. I will find out on Saturday.  

rily
Posted by

Hi John. Hope all goes well tomorrow for you. Keep us posted. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.  What is a Community Champion ?

Inanna
Posted by

All the best for tomorrow

Love Inanna

I know that I don't know
lucy-l
Posted by

Hi John, 

I’ve had a tumour burnt away with diathermy. I was told they do this when the tumour is very small. The good thing was I didn’t have a catheter afterwards as not much blood.

Best wishes for tomorrow.

Luce x

Herothedog
Posted by

Morning John, good luck today. Last September I had multiple tiny tumours burnt off (nobody called it diathermy but neither did they call it TURBT) they said I'd had a biopsy. Which they did to the largest tumour they could find. Left me panicked that they had left all the other growths in situ! However since then both my consultant and CNS have said they always clear the bladder of cancer and when they are tiny they burn them, like cauterising I guess. Anyway didn't have any pain and was sent home same day. xxx

foxbrush
Posted by

Thanks Luce, no catheter would be a bonus.

Just off now.

John

foxbrush
Posted by

Thanks herothedog, feel happier now for that.

John

foxbrush
Posted by

Well all went well, and still slightly unclear about Diathermy and TURBT as I had both. Think its more just called Diathermy for small tumours that are burnt off, and larger tumers that need cutting away are TURBT but can be done with Diathermy.

Op was great again but woke from anaesthetic with severe vertigo, that's not good after an op. Stayed in overnight and came home in a wheelchair, and doing great now. Hoping catheter out soon as.

All the best to all and thanks for encouragement and help all. Great forum.

Inanna
Posted by

Glad all went well with the op and that you are feeling so good within yourself

Love Inanna

I know that I don't know
rily
Posted by

Hi  John. Good to know things went well. Hoping for god results for you. I think you are right on the difference. With a full blown TURBT, the tumour is shaved away and all the bits are sucked out and collected in a jar which goes off for analysis. With just a biopsy, they nick a small sample out and then burn the rest away. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.  What is a Community Champion ?

winkers60
Posted by

I hope your vertigo has settled now and that the catheter will come out soon.Take care,love Jane XXX