Bladder cancer

A place for people affected by bladder cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Pain... normal?

kateh70
Posted by
  • I was only dx’d a week ago and just 4 weeks from walking in to my GP’s surgery with what seemed like a straight forward kidney infection. I’ve been here before, did chemo and rads for breast cancer in 2010 but this feels different somehow. 
    When I looked at the cystoscopy images during the examination it looked bad even to my untrained eye! My CT on Tuesday is for urinary tract, abdomen and chest so I can only think they’re expecting it to have invaded the bladder wall although nothing has been said. I’m booked in for surgery on 25th.
  • Sorry, I’m rambling. Really just wanted to ask about pain because I’m struggling a bit with it. I’m getting sharp pains in my lower abdomen which literally make me double up and a general ache across my whole tummy. Mine was picked up on an ultrasound and even before the cystoscopy confirmed it my CNS asked if I was in pain. I’m thinking the worst of course and would love some reassurance that pain doesn’t necessarily mean it’s got in to the bladder wall. Apologies again for the rambling! X
Herothedog
Posted by

Hi kate70, sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing. Just to say the CT scan is standard procedure. I have had thorax, pelvis and abdomen scans twice now after tumours showed up at a cystoscopy but my bladder cancer thus far is not muscle invasive. Pain seems to vary from person to person. I have sometimes experienced cramps which remind me of period pain, but difficult to know if these are caused by cancer or the BCG treatment. The great thing is that your team is on it, and after the 25th hopefully you will be free of disease. You sound to have a brilliant CNS, so don't hesitate to contact her with any questions. They can be your best friend. Best wishes. x

rily
Posted by

Hi  and a welcome to the group, although we understand what a worrying time this is for you. Just to echo what Herothedog says. Try not to read too much in to the scan, this is standard. It is not because they think it has spread, it is to rule anything out and give them a better picture of what they are dealing with. Pains at this stage are not uncommon. I had severe pains prior to my op. Good to know you have a date as this takes away the anxiety of waiting for an appointment. The operation you will have is called a TURBT (trans urethral resection of bladder cancer). Not as bad as it sounds. Could be done in day surgery or maybe an overnight stay. No need to apologise for anything here. You are not rambling, but expressing your concerns  and many of us have been there. Please ask any questions you like, or just talk if you feel like it. We understand. In the meantime, make sure you are drinking plenty of water at regular intervals. This helps to keep debris flushed out and prevents any clots forming. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.  What is a Community Champion ?

winkers60
Posted by

Hi Kateh70,I was in a great deal of pain but had suffered from Interstitial cystitis for many years before being diagnosed with cancer this summer.I used to get bladder cramps quite often.Can I ask what your bladder looked like when you had the cystoscopy ? I used to get ulcers and red patches with the Interstitial cystitis.My cancer is a rarer type which meant obstructive symptoms and terrible urgency.The turbt procedure is not that bad and we can answer any questions or worries you may have.The waiting around for tests and results is never an easy time but once you have a treatment plan in place you will probably feel better.You will find plenty of support and advice here.Best wishes.Jane XX