Bladder cancer

A place for people affected by bladder cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Bladder Cancer Diagnosis

AndySC
Posted by

Hi All, new to this group, new to the community as well, lots of good information on here, thank you all for your contributions.

I was diagnosed with bladder cancer 2 weeks ago, waiting now for the operation to remove the cancer and then i assume it will be biopsy and then results. Im still in shock but finding that there is a lot of information available, some of which i have to say has made me worry a great deal more. For instance that the cancer has a high chance of coming back? My twin brother died of Cancer about 30 years ago so i can remember what he went through. Hopefully they can get it sorted but im just worried that it may have spread. 

Andy

Andy 
rily
Posted by

Hi Andy and welcome to the community and our corner of it. Sorry to hear you may have bladder cancer, although this will only be confirmed by a biopsy. It sounds as though you have a good idea of what to expect for your TURBT (trans urethral resection of bladder tumour). It sound worse than it actually is. Reading your profile it seems as if they think it has been caught early, in which case you may only be done in day surgery or maybe an overnight stay. At some point you should have a CT scan, but these are generally precautionary to check there is nothing else knocking about. Be aware, things have come a long way in the treatment of cancers since the sad loss of your brother. We know what a worrying time this is for you, but stay with us and we will support you through this. Steer clear of Google as there is a lot of out of date information out there. Feel free to ask any questions. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.  What is a Community Champion ?

AndySC
Posted by

Many thanks for your reply Riley, im trying to stay away from Google as you say, amazing what is out there. I had a CT scan about 4 weeks ago before i was diagnosed but that didnt pick up anything, it was only after the Cystoscapy that they found the tumor, the reason i have the ct scan was i was basically peeing what looked like Red wine, im on warferine as well so that may have made things worse, in hospital they treated that for an infection which cleared up after about 3 days in hospital. It is normal procedure for the bladder inspection and that is when they picked up the cancer. Im hoping it has been caught early but will be a worry up until the results, which by the look of things wont be for about another 8 weeks.

Regards

Andy

Andy