Bladder cancer

A place for people affected by bladder cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Worried ...

Turtle49
Posted by

I'm waiting to have a TURBT ..I don't have a date yet.  I have multiple bladder tumours...I had very few symtoms at first,blood in urine and a slight pressure/burning sensation when I passed urine.  Now a few weeks on the burning is much worse, my bladder aches/throbs, I feel more pressure and sometimes shooting pain down below, my lower back also aches.  I have a pre op appointment on 21st June but I worry :(

rily
Posted by

Hi turtle49. Your symptoms sound very similar to the ones I had, although I had one big tumour. Severe back pains etc. The op itself is nothing to worry about. A fairly straightforward procedure under general anaesthetic. Maybe a night or two in hospital. Peeing is a bit stingy for a few days afterwards. The worst part is waiting for biopsy results which take a few weeks. We can't take the worry away, but many of us have been through this and come out ok. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,

rily.

What is a Community Champion ?

Rosieposie1212
Posted by

I am a female who has had a TURBT and, as rily says, the operation itself is relatively straightforward. I was only in overnight. Had a catheter in when I got back from theatre (general anaesthetic) so my bladder could freely drain the ‘muck and gubbins’ (blood clots etc!).  Certainly, for me, it wasn’t painful...more like discomfort.  And yes, it stings a bit for a while afterwards when the catheter comes out. Hardest bit was drinking 2 litres of fluid a day to keep the bladder flushed out!  I’m sure you will be able to ask about anything you have concerns about at the pre-op check. And this site will have contributions from lots of us who have been through the same. Wishing you well. 

Rosie

Rosie

Tufnailsteve
Posted by

Hi there. Was in a similar situation but with one tumour only. TURBT was a procedure that worried me but it was done quickly and, hopefully, efficiently. Good luck with it.

Stokie
Posted by

Hi Turtle 49. I’m also awaiting a date for my TURBT. I’ve had my pre-op but the TURBT was postponed because they diagnosed a heart murmur-so I have had to see a Cardiologist before getting the all clear for the Op. Good luck mate-you can worry yourself sick but it won’t do you any good! Try to stay positive and I’ll talk to you when we’ve both been through it! Let me know the date of your TURBT-I reckon it will be close to  mine-when I get it! 

Turtle49
Posted by

Thankyou all for your encouraging words ..yes its useless to worry ...I have to just wait and see ..I try to keep my mind off it.  Sometimes I'm so tired after I finish work (although work is a distraction) standing for long periods is a tad uncomfortable at times.  I have a week to go before my pre op appointment. .I'm counting it down

tedd
Posted by

My husband had bad burning sensation and was prescribed Tamsulosin Hydrochloride which he said worked like magic after the first tablet! He was told it was usually prescribed for people with prostate cancer but works for bladder cancer problems too. Good luck

Turtle49
Posted by

Well I had my TURBT yesterday ...I came home same day..so  glad to be home. Slept ok but going to the loo often..which is also quite painful...improving however now I'm up and drinking plenty.  They said they took out all the tumours (multiple small ones) and it went well.  I have to wait 3 weeks for the results and also have a ct program. I have some time off work now so will be keeping up-to-date with everyone's experiences x

rily
Posted by

Hi Turtle49. Good to know you got through it ok. The stinging usually gradually subsides after a few days. Remember, nothing too strenuous for a week or so. CT scans are standard, so try not to read too much in to that. Feet up for a while now while waiting foe results. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,

rily.

What is a Community Champion ?