Bladder removal

• 16 replies
  • 72 subscribers

So it's been decided that u need to have my bladder removed & this surgery us to take place very soon. For anyone else that has had this surgery, can you give me any advise as to what this surgery is like in terms of pain etc.... I'm a little bit apprehensive about it, I know I need it & definitely will have it done as its my best chance of survival, but that don't stop me from being scared x

• So I'm day 8 post operative, so glad I've had it done, there is lots of pain involved, but to be fair, I didn't want anything stronger than paracetamol,  not a fan of morphine but it was offered. Thank you for asking x

• Hi Rachel,I managed with paracetamol as the morphine made me sick even with anti sickness medication.It’s very early in your recovery but you should get stronger over time.Take care love Jane xx

• Good on you Rachel72. Hope your recovery continues smoothly and the pain soon subsides.

All the best...Del.

• Great to hear from you, sounds as though you are doing really well. Hope all continues smoothly.

• Thank you:) slow road to recovery ahead, but one day at a time x

• I had my bladder removed in 2016 and have lived with a stoma and bag ever since. It’s normal to be scared, I was terrified and thought my life was over. How wrong was I. I had robotic surgery and the pain was manageable. My advise is to take all the pain relief on offer . You will feel weak and exhausted  and I felt very tearful and wondered how I would manage life with a bag but my stoma nurse was brilliant.the first 6 weeks were the worst as your stoma will change shape but once it settled I have had no major issues. A couple of leaks but both my own fault. I was back at work within 3 months. The thought of this is much worse than the reality