Here we go again!

• 21 replies
  • 55 subscribers

PET CT scan report confirms earlier CT scan findings - Disease has now spread to my lymphatic system and has shown up in several lymph nodes mainly in the abdomen, close to the original sources - the right kidney and bladder. So yet more treatment required to continue the nightmare of the last 2 years.

Surgery is not an option so its to be some form of chemotherapy. There is a trial of a new drug combination that I may be eligible for  - Enfortumab Vedotin given with an existing cancer drug Pembrolizumab. This sounds promising, otherwise it would probably be more of the Gemcitabine and Carboplatin, that I had previously.

The latter made me progressively unwell, and had to be stopped after 3 of the 4 cycles, as I had to be hospitalised fro 2 weeks with sepsis, as the toxicity attacked my bone marrow. So I can't say I fancy riding that bike again. But apparently they may be able to give some other medication to mitigate the serous side effect.

Can't say I'm feeling very optimistic about the likely outcome, it just seems that the bl**dy thing is going to get me, it's just a question of when, and how much more I have to suffer before I reach what seems the inevitable end.

• Hi

Very sorry to hear the news. Hopefully treatment will have an impact.

It doesn't matter where you go, there you are
  • As only got one kidney, Chemo is not an option due to toxicity.

So I wondered whether I should ask about a possible kidney transplant? I expect my age precludes me from this being an option, and I suppose could not be done soon enough for possible chemotherapy to then become a viable option anyway!

So I will have to hope that the Atezolizumab (Tercentriq) will do something useful. I see the Consultant again next Monday, then first treatment due on 31/8.

KidneyBeen

• Hi KidneyBeen,I shall keep my fingers crossed for your treatment helping.Best wishes Jane

• I've had a few cycles of Avelumab. One lot of 5, a month break & 1 lot of 1. Both times it nearly wiped out my liver, but I understand that kidneys are your issue, not the liver? My oncologist may try another type of immunotherapy (or another chemo type) next month after a CT scan. I have found that immunotherapy side effects are different to chemo. For me, it was severe itching, feeling sick (liver function), then 2nd lot was diarrhea & liver function.

• Got my first session of immunotherapy drug infusion on Wednesday. It's to be Atezolizumab, once every 3 weeks. As with Chemo, the list of possible side affects is horrendous, so got to hope I don't have any, or too many, really nasty ones! 

KidneyBeen

• I hope it goes well.Fingers crossed the side effects will be manageable.Best wishes Jane 

• Fingers crossed big time.

• When you are having your infusion, be aware of your body for the first 10mins, especially pain in your lower back. Tell a nurse if you get that.

• Thanks to all for supportive responses.

Several days on from the first infusion now, and so far no great problems.

Had an upset stomach for a day or so immediately afterwards, which was soon controlled by taking the tablets provided. Only needed to take a couple of days. No sickness or nausea, so not a major issue.

The only other effect that is really noticeable is a general level of tiredness, without actually doing very much to cause it! If I do something a little more physical, I suddenly feel quite fatigued fairly quickly whilst active or just after.

So I'm taking life fairly gently. I will have to see whether I am able to do my usual golf day tomorrow. Will maybe have a buggy, and can always stop if it's just too much for me. Weather forecast may intervene anyway, making it less favourable to go anyway, so I might not miss much anyway!

3 weeks between treatments seems a very long time, although it is normal procedure it seems. It's just that you feel that you want them to pump as much of the stuff into you as possible, in the hopes that it will reverse the spread and kill the damn thing off.

Wishful thinking really, but all the weeks passing makes me think that it is growing more and spreading even further!

KidneyBeen

• Hi

Glad your feeling better and being positive. I share your impatience when it comes  to treatment. I wanted to get started asap, but unfortunately everything had to be done by stages, so I had a chance to recover. Keep positive.Fingers crossed