Impending RC surgery

• 22 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi All

I've been waiting for a date for RC operation and now know it will be Friday 24th June so a week to go. It's starting to seem more real all of a sudden. 

Still getting abdominal pains and spoke to the consultant who thinks these are more likely to be diverticular disease than form the cancer. Spoke to my GP who gave me antibiotics which have helped but the pain is still there if not quite as bad. This is getting me down more than anything else at the moment but I'm trying to eat well so that I can feel better by next week. Will be glad when the operation is all over now and I can hopefully begin to recover from all of this. 

Trying to get organised now ready for the hospital and also trying to keep busy as a distraction from thinking about the surgery and its aftermath. 

Mike

• Hi Mike 

Great that you have got through surgery. Bowels can take some time to wake up. Please listen to your body and don't feel surprised when even the littlest action can make you feel knackered. 

Onwards and upwards 

Love Inanna x 

I know that I don't know
  • Hi 

Thought I would give another update following my RC. It's been 2 and a half weeks now and i was discharged from hospital a week ago tomorrow. Was getting some constipation which has eased as I have been eating some prunes which is helping.

Biggest thing for me now is the fatigue. Finding that I've got no energy at all some days. Probably need to push myself a little but to do some things when I can but trying to listen to my body as well (has people have said) and get the balance right. 

How long after surgery did everyone start to really feel more like normal in terms of energy levels please? 

Regards

Mike

• Hi Mike

It will take time to get your energy back. It was a good 7 months for me to get my energy back. It will come back eventually so just rest and wait

Love Inanna x 

I know that I don't know
  • Hi Mike.I’m glad you are back home.It does take time to fully recover.I found the first few weeks were the worst for fatigue and weakness.After 3 months energy levels really picked up but it took another 5 months to get back to normal.It Is a slow process but you will improve Some days may be better than others.It’s best to eat little but often and build up walking gradually.You probably won’t feel like doing anything much at this early stage.When you feel a bit stronger finding a non strenuous hobby might be helpful.Love Jane x

• Hi Mike. I had a different treatment (chemoradiotherapy), but I suffered from fatigue post treatment which lasted a few months. It was explained to me that fatigue is part of the healing process. The body has gone through a great trauma and so shuts itself down in order for all available energy to be used by the immune system to go towards the recovery process. Rest when you feel like it and exercise lightly when you can. Best wishes. 

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thanks All

Sounds as though I need to be patient and allow my body to heal and also accept that it will take some time to get back to normal. 

Thanks for your thoughts

Regards

Mike

• Hi Mike,How are you feeling aside from the fatigue ? I used the recovery time to do some tasks I had been putting off like paperwork.I took up art again as I never had the time before.As long as you listen to your body you should keep getting stronger.Best wishes Jane x

• Hi Jane

Other than the fatigue I've been feeling alright. The stoma and caring for it has been ok and the scars from the op seem to be healing nicely so that's good. 

I have planned, like you, to try to catch up on a few things e.g. some family history and doing a bit of learning. The OU under it's banner of Open Learn has some excellent and varied short courses that I want to do. 

Regards

Mike

• Hi Mike,It sounds like you are recovering well.I did a lot of genealogy during recovery.Having something to do really helps.I got depressed but mainly due to being alone during the first lockdown.I still remember the great sense of achievement I felt when I finally managed to walk down and see my mum in the care home.It took 3 attempts.Having something positive to focus on is good.Best wishes Jane x

• I did my family history during lockdown and got right back to the 1600s. Unfortunately, lots of poverty in my background, but the process of finding out where you come from is fascinating and the detective work can be addictive. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?