Anal cancer

Affected by anal cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

The Itch!

smrichie5
Posted by

I am 3 weeks post treatment and overall healing well. However, I am itching like mad throughout the night. I wake up atleast twice and can’t resist the urge to scratch and rub even though I then end up sore. Has anyone else suffered with this and do you have any tips for easing it? Thanks

Liddyloo
Posted by

Oh yes! The old “wasps nest up the bum” sensation! Utterly maddening!

When I was experiencing the same, some kind and wise soul on here recommended Piriton. Particularly at night! Magic!

I hope it helps you too!

I also find Germoloids cream invaluable, soothing and healing, and it contains a local anaesthetic! Bliss!

Nikki S
Posted by

Hi, I’m about 9 weeks post treatment and I’m still itching, this heat doesn’t help! But yes worse at night so i take a drowsy antihistamine. 

Is it normal to be itchy still this far after treatment has ended? X

Liddyloo
Posted by

Depends where you’re itching, Nikki. It should have improved by now. It might be worth a trip to the GP in case it’s thrush, particularly with the hot weather.

Hope it clears soon.

Nikki S
Posted by

No it’s definitely between my bum cheeks and on my legs x

Liddyloo
Posted by

Skin between the cheeks etc. is ripe for a fungal infection. That sounds worthy of a GP inspection. My sympathies.

Nikki S
Posted by

I saw a surgeon Friday and contacted the oncology nurse, she says it’s normal, she said to use cream that sinks in quickly or 1% hydrocortisone cream but not long term. Can anyone recommend one? X