Anal cancer and apr surgery with vram flap

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hiya, I had anal cancer 15 months ago, chemoradiation followed. Now due to have Apr with vram flap. 

Is there anyone on this forum that has had this. Help, I'm very nervous.

Thanks deb

• Hi Deb, sorry your here. You will get loadsa support.  We’re all scared but we get through this together. You can read my profile and you can see it does get better. Slight smile

Ewok
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ewok

Thanks, I read your profile. Wow. I already have a colostomy and have had since 2007, so less of an op. Did you have a vram flap?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I am sorry that this is happening to you, this must be a very daunting prospect. There are definitely people on here who have had APR surgery, have come out the other side and are living their lives again. I’m sure these people will come forward and talk with you.

You could also contact the https://www.analcancerfoundation.org/?geoip=US who offer a peer support programme. They should be able to pair your with another person who’s had this surgery and could support you through it.

Good luck with it all.

Sarah x

• Hi there, I didn’t have a vram, but others on here may have. I’m much further forward now since last post on profile  which is very positive. Don’t expect too much too soon is the best advice I can give.. but everyone is different. I’ve always been very active..skiing, sailing, pilates yoga, swimming, spinning, walking and camping on glaciers and I’ll get back to that soon. I’ve been irrigating for nearly 4 weeks now and it’s giving me my independence back. I’m glad you've had time to adjust to your colostomy. When is your op?

Ewok
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ewok

Hiya, the date was 3rd June but the surgeons have the time but no theatre space, so it's a waiting game as I need both a colectoral surgeon and plastic surgeon too.