Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia

A support group for anyone affected by acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Nausea during chemo treatment

Mum2k
Posted by
Hi, my daughter has acute lymphoblastic leukaemia, has had her first cycle and achieved complete remission, although we know she still has a long journey in front of her. She is currently on her 2nd cycle which I think is consolidation, and has had her first dose of cyclophosphamide today. She has been extremely nauseous on this second cycle, has anyone got any tips- she has had IV anti sickness that works in the hospital but as soon as it wears off the oral drugs aren’t really working. She is 30 yrs old and is on the children’s ALL protocol so if anyone has any information about it I’d be interested as I think it differs slightly to the adult protocol. 
Thank you 
kts mum
KT’s mum 
Thehighlander
Posted by

Hi I am Mike and am dropping in past from our Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma Fourm just to say hi.

It's so good that your daughter is having success with her treatment ansd let's look for complete remission. Nausea can change over time so what once worked for some odd reason does not work the next time but her body is going through some major chemical and physical changes so it's not a surprise.

You need to keep an open line of communication with her chemo nurse to report the issues as they do have other tools in the box to help. You could also post your question to Caroline in our Ask An Expert section as she works in Leukaemia care.

Highlander ((hugs))

Mike - Thehighlander

Some journeys take us far from home but some adventures lead us to our destiny CS Lewis

SCT NHL TCell

Mum2k
Posted by

Thank you Mike, I have been following your post as well, we live in Edinburgh so at the WGH who I have to say are excellent, I’m a nurse myself and Katy is a sick children’s nurse at sick kids in Edinburgh but when it comes to your own it makes no difference, I’m just a mum. Some of the chemo doesn’t give her nausea, but I think they have changed to different ones this time, so you’re right in that things she tried her first round seemed to work but this time make the nausea worse. I guess it’s trial and error every time. 

J

KT’s mum 
Thehighlander
Posted by

Good morning KTs mum. We are sitting on our daughters balcony with cup of coffee over looking the dry ski-slops at 8.30!! We have been in Edinburgh for a week following a week away so using our daughters house as they are in Holland......... did the stuff we could not do with 3 under 6 year old girls around us, we do love Edinburgh :-)

I have a number of medical friends including a few consultants and they all say that regardless of all their training and skill when it' comes to one of your own all rational thinking goes out of the window.

Yes the WGH is very well regarded and we do have a number of staff in Inverness who have come up from the WGH.

Over the various treatments I have had both in Inverness and down at The Beatson it was often about trial and error, as you say when things are changed a fresh approach needs to be taken.

Just away to pack up and head up the wonderful A9, loving ((hugs)) to you and Katy x

Mike - Thehighlander

Some journeys take us far from home but some adventures lead us to our destiny CS Lewis

SCT NHL TCell

Mum2k
Posted by

Thank you, safe journey back 

KT’s mum