Travel insurance

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi all, does anyone know of any travel insurance companies who would cover my dad he has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer but his radiotherapy has helped reducing the size of the cancer and he is still mobile and independent! Any suggestions would be much appreciated 

thanks

steph

•  

Hi Steph and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that your dad has been diagnosed with lung cancer but it's great that radiotherapy has reduced the size of his cancer and he's planning on travelling.

Unfortunately it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis. I hope I don't sound insensitive but does your dad have a terminal diagnosis, eg. there are no more options or treatments available, or is he incurable, eg. there are still treatments such as chemo, radiotherapy, etc? This is an important distinction to make as it will affect the cost and ability to get insurance. If he is classed as terminal then check with each provider that you ring what they class as terminal because some class it as having less that 6 months to live whilst others will say that it's less than 12 months to live.

I don't know whether you've had a chance to look through the member's stories thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as sometimes they can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure you have all the information to hand about your dad's diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance. Some insurers might ask for a letter from your dad's doctor to prove that they have given him permission to travel.

Do pop back and let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi,

thank you for your reply! Yes unfortunately it is terminal and no further treatment will be offered! I have noticed a lot of my online quotes they say ring so they can ask more questions a few have said no but I have more providers to contact. I got one quote online but was £1000 for 10 days cover which is insane! I’ll definitely let you know how I get on and fingers crossed he has his holiday. Xx 

• I'm very sorry to hear that your dad's prognosis is terminal

There have been a few people on here who have found reasonably priced insurance even with a terminal diagnosis. If you type 'terminal' into the search bar in this group it will bring up any posts that mention the word and you could have a look to see who they've taken out insurance with. If you click here this link will take you to one of them.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"