Failure to get travel insurance

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Well I hate to talk about failure in relation to anything about cancer but just so frustrated at trying to get any quote  at all- even if the cost had been prohibitive.

we want to go away in Jan and Feb. ideally a cruise to the Caribbean but would settle for Madeira just to get some sun. However no one will quote. They all decline. When I say all I mean around 10 of the well known companies.

i have primary peritoneal cancer and actually doing very well. Off chemo but having avastin every three weeks to keep the growth of new cancer cells under control. It is this ongoing treatment which seems to be the sticking point despite the consultant telling me to go away and enjoy myself and I could have up to 9 weeks off treatment and still be able to return to it.

so just venting my frustration. Actually it is trying to get the quotes that tires me rather than illness. 

good luck to anyone who has got insurance (should add we are now both over 70  which is an added negative]

thanks for virtual listening

wx

• Hi  and welcome to the travel insurance group

I'm really sorry to hear what a hard time you've had looking for travel insurance. 

Unfortunately it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis. Many people of all ages in this group have been able to get insurance so I'm wondering if the fact that you want to cruise is the sticking point? I know that it would be extremely expensive if you had to be airlifted off a cruise ship or the ship had to be diverted to a port and wondered if you'd have success getting insurance if you had a 'land' holiday instead.

I don't know whether the "ten of the well known companies" are ones that you've seen in the Recommended Travel Insurance thread but, if not, it may prove useful to look through it to see which companies other Community members are recommending. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than do online quotes as the quote can be more personally tailored with a human on the other end of the phone.

I do hope that you can find insurance and that you have a great holiday

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Divingisfun (love the handle!)

I agree that it is very frustrating and time consuming to trawl through the various companies.

One I called, and as latchbrook suggests its always better to call rather than do it online, told me I was basically too well for them to quote for. That's not something I've heard from any of the other companies. They are called insurecancer.com. Since they declined to quote as I was not 'serious' enough I can't say whether they are reasonable. In the end I got cover with Staysure though I also got a quote from Insurancewith. 

I fully understand your desire to go somewhere warm in darkest Jan. 

Wishing you good luck.

T

• Well I have gone ahead and bitten the bullet and paid boots a huge sum but at least I am insured. To be fair we are plannng on a 42 day cruise which includes Barbados which I understand is hugely expensive for medical bills. Plus I am still under treatment but deferred for the holiday. Tried about 5 others and to be honest I got fed up of repeating myself only to get a declined reply. Staysure as one that declined.

Good luck to others treading the same path.

wx

Wx