EHIC card

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 19 subscribers

hi,

i know there are a lot of discussions on here regarding medical insurance whilst travelling abroad.

although the advice is usually to arrange comprehensive travel insurance, I do think that the EHIC card should cover you in many European countries.

obviously if a no deal Brexit does happen then this will no longer be the case, but it might be worth considering if people are putting off going abroad because of the cost of travel insurance.

the EHIC card is supposed to cover both new and pre-existing conditions.

Brexit: What will happen to European Health Insurance Cards? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49989227

I’d be interested to know if anyone has had any experience using this card in Europe ?

paul

• Hi Paul

Currently a EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) gives you access to state provided healthcare in all EU countries along with Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein at a reduced cost or, in many cases, free of charge. 

My husband used it last year when we were on holiday in Spain and didn't pay anything for his visit to see a doctor and a follow-up visit to see a nurse. So in that case it worked well.

The NHS website (see link above) does stress that an EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance as it will not cover such things as having to be flown home, cancelling your holiday or lost or stolen luggage.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi,

yes, it’s interesting as for people getting horrendous quotes for travel insurance, the bulk of that is for medical cover.

although it won’t cover other aspects like travel insurance does I guess what we all really need is the medical cover. After all, the cost of a flight home in Europe is probably less than most of these quotes.

thanks, it’s certainly something I will look into for next year if we don’t leave the EU without a deal. (I already bought insurance for this year).

KR

• You're right, there are lots of cheap flights home but sometimes you can be too ill to take one. 

A couple of years ago a lady who had a pre-existing medical condition was taken ill on the campsite we were staying at. She had great treatment from the local hospital and was eventually discharged.

However, she was stuck in Spain for several months as she was still too poorly to travel home and she hadn't taken out insurance. If she had taken travel insurance the insurance would have paid for her to be medevaced back to the UK accompanied by a nurse as one of my other friends had to be a few years ago.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Yes, that’s a very valid point and certainly something to consider as well.

i do feel like the EHIC card is the best kept secrecy though. But I suppose ordinarily it’s worthless if you can get travel insurance anyway for £10 a trip (like I could before my illness).

Thanks for all the info, very helpful.

Paul.