travel insurance for terminally ill

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 18 subscribers

My father has lung cancer diagnoses and will not be offered any treatment. He wanted to enjoy last months as much as possible by going on a cruise setting off from UK (unable to fly). Does anyone have experience of gaining insurance with terminal illness? 

Thanks in advance. 

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that your dad has had a lung cancer diagnosis but it's great that he feels well enough to enjoy a cruise. I went on one for the first time this spring and it was a great experience!

Unfortunately it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis. I hope I don't sound insensitive but has your dad had a terminal diagnosis, eg. there are no more options or treatments available, or is he incurable, eg. there are still treatments such as chemo, radiotherapy, etc? This is an important distinction to make as it will affect the cost and ability to get insurance. If he is classed as terminal then check with each provider that you ring what they class as terminal because some class it as having less that 6 months to live whilst others will say that it's less than 12 months to live.

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your dad's diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your dad's doctor to prove that they have given him permission to travel. In any case it's always best if he checks with his doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in his notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that your dad can get travel insurance and that he has a wonderful time. Do come back and let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

hi 

In response to your question, he has been told there is no treatment options available to him and that he has at best 9 - 11months. I have looked through the recommended travel section but so far can only see recommendations for people that have condition but not received a terminal diagnosis. Perhaps there is a way I can narrow down the search? 

• Unfortunately, there's no way to narrow down the search within a particular thread but if you type 'terminal' into the search bar in this group it will bring up any previous posts that mention the word.

However, just because you haven't seen anyone who's terminally ill recommending a travel insurance company doesn't mean that those in the 'Recommended Travel Insurance' thread don't provide cover for those who are terminally ill. Unfortunately, most people do not come back to the group and tell us who they got cover with.

Good luck with your search

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"