Travel insurance for past cancer patient

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Iam 80 years old and struggling to find travel insurance. In January 2016 I was diagnosed with colorectal Cancer. The tumour was removed via Hartmanns procedure and fortunately the cancer had not spread. I did not have any other treatment and after 3 and a half years, 6 scans and 3 colestomies I have been told by the hospital that I do not have cancer. When looking for insurance do I have to declare it? There is no way to explain all this in an online application. Any help appreciated.

• Hi and welcome to the online community

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis. You will need to declare the cancer if you are asked if you have ever had cancer or if you've been diagnosed within the last so many years. Different insurers may have different time frames when they will need to take the cancer diagnosis into account. 

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel. In any case it's always best to make sure that you have checked with your doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that you can get travel insurance and that you have a great holiday

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi dave1939

I see Latchbrook has already signposted you to the list of insurers recommended by group members.

I would also suggest you google 'Which pre-existing medical conditions'. Which magazine ran an piece in around April this year on which insurers cover what, including age limits for single trip/multi trip etc. Some have 75 as oldest, some have 100, so there are options out there.  You might find this helps narrow down the list of insurers to call. And do call, rather than try to do it online.

I have an annual policy which is due to expire next month with Insurancewith (it was initially refused by doing it online but when I called and answered the questions in person I got a quote. I've taken out my next policy with Staysure and again did it on the phone. Have a list of your dates for any treatment for anything for the last few years to hand, along with any medications you take for anything. Settle in with a cuppa and be prepared for a lot of questions but its worked for me. If you do not declare your previous condition diagnosis then you are at risk of being being not fully covered should you be unfortunate enough to need to make a claim. 

Good luck

T