the nightmare that is travel insurance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi folks a bowel cancer sufferer here looking for travel insurance for end September. Any pointers or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi and welcome to the online community

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel. In any case it's always best to make sure that you have checked with your doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that you can get insurance and enjoy your trip

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Blackcountrydude,

I have pancreatic cancer which was diagnosed after secondary ovarian tumour removed. I had murders getting decent last minute insurance as travelling on Weds.  Price quoted for my family of 3 ranged from £1,700 to £2,900!!

Decided to call Boots insurance and was taken through the usual checks and medical disclosures.  Quoted between £154 and £193, dependent on gadget inclusions!  Obviously no brainer for me as this so much cheaper than everywhere else. 

Try them out, costs nothing for a quote.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello everyone,

Thank you Ceily! And thanks you Macmillan - I can't survive without Macmillan. They are amazing especially my cancer nurse.

I tried the AA as I always use them but this time - less than a year later - they denied my cover.

So they put me through to BIB British Insurance Brokers - who put me through to another company who wanted over £600 for single trip for one week.

I have kidney cancer with metatstic bone disease, surgey on my arm last year and also I had an umbilical hernia repair in April.

I saw Ceily's post so tried Boots. Multitrip cover for one year with same conditions for £65.

Sad to say that some companies are taking advantage of cancer patients and trying to rip them off. But they won't get me the b******s.

I rang the AA who gave me some tosh about underwriters.

Chas

• FormerMember

I am so glad this worked out for you Chas. Companies really take advantage and the difference in cost is massive,

C

• FormerMember

Not sure it has as the company thst does it for Boots has bad write ups with people complaining about not getting sorted after they claim.

so worried about it.

it seems like they are all scammers 

ps i ask for replies to be notified but it doesn’t worh even though the box is tickef

• Glad to hear that you've managed to get some reasonably priced insurance .

To get notifications you need to have them turned on. Look for the heading in this group that says 'email notifications from this group' and alter this to your preference. Looking back through your previous posts in May you said, in another group, that you didn't want email notifications and people told you how to switch them off. You now need to switch them back on again. 

If altering the settings you're still not getting notifications let me know and I'll pass it on to the site administrators. 

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

You didn’t read my last post.

apparently they dont pay up if you claim and they’re under investigation 

back to square one

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Yes but the website is still broken as under each message it has a ticked box but as you say you need to change two settings.

9 months later and still broken

• FormerMember

So i click reply on the website it asks me to log in which i do and it logs me in and takes me to a home page!

why doesn’t it take me to the reply to message?

so i found out that boots insurance is dodgy as they are managed by tif who are under investigation.

quote from pj hayman is £300.

no one seems to be bothered about helping.

replying to out of date posts saying well done!

• FormerMember

So i have to search again for the post!

as i have said before the website needs fixing and has been no good since at least December last year