Help with Travel insurance cover

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hello my dad has recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer and we are due to go to Portugal in October.  He contacted his insurance company saga who quoted him over £3,000 which seems incredible or is this the norm?  If anyone has had better experiences with other companies I'd be really grateful for any suggestions as we really want to have a family holiday.  My dad is 80. Much appreciated. Julie 

• Hi I was quoted £2700 for our insurance for Europe.  others on here have tried insure with there are others suggested on travel group forum. Good luck.

• Hi Julie and welcome to the online community. 

I'm sorry to hear that your dad has recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer but it's great that you're planning a family holiday. 

Unfortunately, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your dad's diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel. In any case it's always best to make sure that you have checked with your doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced insurance and that you all have a lovely time 

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you for your help we contacted a few of the companies mentioned in the threads and have got insurance with  allclear so dad and mum can come on hols with us to portugal, making memories, being positive and enjoying life xx

• That's great news and thanks for letting us know which travel company you used.

I hope you all have a great time!

xx

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"