Travel Insurance when cancer has returned

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/34929/7823.Holiday-Safe-Complaint.pdf

Hi - I wish to share my experience with you all.

On Tuesday 18th June my dad was advised that his cancer had returned and that this time the treatment would be palliative - last October my parents booked to go on a cruise - they leave tomorrow 27th June (Croatia, Malta Greece etc) - my parents had taken out a multi-trip policy in March 2019 (dad had been advised that oncologist appointments were moving from quarterly to half yearly so everything was looking good) - we were extremely upset to learn that this company refused to continue to provide travel insurance. Owing to their imminent travel we approached other insurance companies -  one called All Clear Travel after asking very blunt insensitive questions "kindly" offered to insurance my dad for the princely sum of £3000 - we were appalled and I have complained to this company about the way their advisors ask questions.

At this point we were very disheartened but I then read an article published by the Financial Ombudsman (issue 36 definitely worth reading) which referenced the unacceptable practice whereby Travel Insurance companies either significantly increase their prices or refuse cover - armed with this information - I wrote the attached email to dads existing travel Insurance provider and I am delighted to say that within 24 hours of them receiving the complaint letter they had called my dad to understand more about his diagnosis/ treatment plan etc. and then following discussions with their underwriters they were able to offer cover for the cruise for an additional premium of £25 - they also advised my dad that if he intended to travel again post cruise then to call them to discuss cover continuing cover .

My advice to you all is please do challenge any decisions by your existing provider - feel free to use the attached sample letter.

I sincerely hope this post helps-  I witnessed how much being able to go on this cruise lifted my dads spirits.

Good luck

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm really pleased to hear that after you complained to your dad's insurer they have now reinstated his cover and added cruise cover for just £25 more. As you say, it just goes to show that perserverance sometimes pays off!

You, and anyone else reading this, might also be interested in this edition of the ombudsman news which talks about changes in medical circumstances after a holiday has been booked for people with annual policies.

I hope your parents have a lovely time.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"