Terminally ill

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi and thank you for accepting me to the group.

My partner was diagnosed with terminal S4 Small Cell lung cancer with secondaries in his liver and bones February of this year. He would like us to have one more holiday (possibly) honeymoon in the sun. His final chemo session ends on the 4th July with his immunotherapy continuing every 3 weeks thereafter. His oncologist has said he is happy for him to travel after the 24th July. 

We’re not looking to go far (Balearics) but the insurance is a mine field not to say expensive. 

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated 

Tiggs xx

• Hello Tiggs

If it turns into your honeymoon, then many congratulations, but a holiday is a lovely idea anyway. It would be nice to have something to look forward too at what must be a difficult time.

If you google 'Which travel insurance for pre-existing conditions' you should get a link to an article which Which magazine did earlier this year. There is a table there of companies who offer cover for cancer, including those who will consider cover if the diagnosis is terminal. 

It would be a good idea to have it in writing from the oncologist that Drs are happy for him to travel. I would also suggest you phone rather than do it online. The questions are more tailored and it just seemed faster (I was screened out when I did it online but when I called it was just the way I'd answered one question).

How flexible are you on where you go? Some of the Med countries are much more expensive for medical treatment than others, which in turn pushes premiums up. Spain (inc Balearics), Cyprus and I think Malta are at the more expensive end of the scale. Italy and Croatia might be more reasonable. Hopefully one of the companies on the list will be able to give you a competitive quote.

Best wishes

• Hi 

Have you had a look through the thread entitled Recommended Travel Insurance that I directed you to yet? If not then this would be a good place to start. Just click on the link I've created which will take you there. .

Don't forget that it is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the dates of your partner's treatment to hand along with details of any medication and any future planned treatment.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to TracyP

Thank you so much for your lovely reply Tracy, I have just got off the phone to the Macmillan financial team and they said call instead of doing it on line .... fingers crossed we find someone to insure us and have that week in the sunshine xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi latchbrook

thank you so much for the link and all your help xxx