USA

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

hi I have multiply relapsed Stage 4b non Hodgkin lymphoma in remission one year. I travelled to Florida at the end of Feb for a week. My insurance was only obtainable through Boots at a great price of £200. I had to make a trip to the Emergency Room of Mount Sinai and was there for three hours only. Medical costs in the States are ridiculous but I learnt while I was there that Obama introduced a law that no one can be turned away from any hospital in an emergency. Admittedly they do start pushing you for your travel insurance details soon after arrival. I just emailed them a copy of my policy. But it’s a great relief that if you are ill in the States you are never turned away unlike pre-Obama times. Btw, three hours at the ED costs £6000. If you can believe that!

• Hi

That's great that you were able to get reasonably priced travel insurance from Boots for your trip to the USA and, apart from the trip to the Emergency Room, I hope you had a lovely time!

It's great to hear that you wouldn't be turned away from any hospital in America if you have an emergency but presume that if you don't have travel insurance you'll be billed for the cost of whatever treatment you have.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"