Am I missing something?

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi,

I’ve just been on Compare the Market looking for travel insurance for a 4/5 day trip to Poland in August, I’ve declared my medical condition, diagnosis of anal cancer February 18, resulting in surgery March 18 & chemo-radiotherapy throughout May/June 18, now thankfully disease free. The quotes are coming in not much higher than it would have been before my diagnosis! Am I missing something as I was expecting extortionate quotes! Any help gratefully received.

Nicola

• Hi

That's great news that you're getting quotes for not much more than you would have paid if you hadn't had cancer.

As long as you've answered all the questions correctly the quotes should be right. Insurance companies charge according to the risk they perceive and based on what claims they've had to pay out in the past. They obviously don't see you as much of a risk hence the lower than you expected. 

Have a lovely trip to Poland. 

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I’m presuming because I’ve had successful treatment & will be a year out of treatment & disease free at present that what you say may be the case. I just got quite a shock as I was assuming that following a cancer diagnosis that amongst other things travel insurance would go through the roof! I’ve specified my diagnosis, my surgery, my subsequent treatment & where I am now & have had quotes from several insurers on compare the market & Insurewith & they’re all coming in around about the same, just wasn’t what I was expecting! Lots of travel will be on the cards if this is the case, if this last 13 months has taught me anything it’s to seize the day.

Nicola x