Travel Insurance - any recommendations?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 20 subscribers

My husband is in remission from Mantle Cell Lymphoma and receiving maintenance chemotherapy every two months. I have had two quotes for a single trip travel insurance one of £1000+ and another £700+. Any ideas who I might contact for a sensible quote, please?

• Hi and welcome to the online community

That's great news that your husband is currently in remission but, as you've discovered, it can be more difficult to find suitably priced travel insurance when there is a cancer diagnosis involved. If you click on the link in this paragraph it will take you to the advice that Macmillan provide on how to prepare for, amongst other things, travel insurance quotes.

I don't know if you've had a chance to look through the thread entitled Recommended Travel Insurance yet, it's currently the one below your post. It was set up so that recommendations from community members could be kept in one place to make looking for travel insurance easier. If you've not looked through it then that would be a good place to start. Just click on the link I've created which will take you there. When you do obtain insurance it would be really useful if you could add your recommendation to that thread.

Most people recommend that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as it's easier to explain to someone about your diagnosis than try to complete an online quote.

I do hope that you are able to get some reasonably priced travel insurance and that you have a lovely holiday.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Stella,

I am in exactly the same position as your husband.  Did you have any luck with anyone?

kind regards

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I noticed that Stella hasn't replied to you yet but, as her post was from the beginning of the year, she might not come into this group anymore.

I wondered if you'd had chance to look through the thread entitled Recommended Travel Insurance yet? It was set up so that recommendations from community members could be kept in one place to make looking for travel insurance easier. If you've not looked through it then this would be a good place to start. Just click on the link I've created which will take you there. When you do obtain insurance it would be really useful if you could add your recommendation to that thread.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thanks so much for following up on this.

I have mantle cell lymphoma AND chronic kidney disease.

I found insurance with World-first (on the recommended list) for a one week trip to new York.  Quite simply, they have a more finely grained screening process than other insurers, with more nuanced questions.  I am basically well now.....so very low risk.  My premium was £157, an £82 excess on the basic.  A very good deal I think.

Thanks again.

MikeKP

• Hi Stella

Just renewed our annual policy with Boots Travel Insurance i am 63 my wife is 60 nothing wrong with her but i have had mouth cancer 10 hour operation in July 2017 and radiotherapy if you look at my profile it explains what i had done , also got high blood pressure last year i paid £ 83 .46 for the both of us for an annual multi trip policy anywhere in europe including teneriff turkey etc , my quote for this year is £ 71.16 for the both of us i told the lady on the phone that it seemed too cheap but they gave me an extra discount for taking it out with them again  , had to answer a few questions but i told them everything down to the last detail , give them a ring and see how you get on !

Tel  0345 1 253 880 

Forgot to say i am in remission too just coming up to 2 years since my op , hope your hubby has a long and healthy life like i intend to have now i have got rid of that Bastard Cancer sorry for swearing !

Pete

Pete