Travel insurance

Have you had difficulty getting travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis? Or have you managed to find a reasonable quote? Join this group to share experiences and talk to people who understand what you’re going through.

Refused insurance for Caribbean

Camelializ
Posted by

Hi there

I've just joined this forum.  I'm on the bowel cancer and stoma support groups here.

Just had last surgery following on from recurrent rectal cancer - reversal of ileostomy-  last week.  Cancer responded completely to 5 weeks of chemoradiation treatment which finished in March 2018 and I had surgery to remove more of my rectum in June 2018 just to be sure everything had gone and thankfully no cancer was found.  Hubby and I feeling like booking some trips for next year and toying with the idea of the Caribbean, staying in hotels, no cruising.

Spoke to my travel insurer (Axa) who provide free cover with my bank account. I'm covered but not for my medical condition. They are not interested in covering my medical condition  at the moment.  They said if I phoned in a few months time I would probably be able to get some single trip cover.

I've just  tried Boots Online as they have had good reviews here.  Failed the online application and they asked me to call but they've refused cover.

Am I being too (way) ambitious phoning up so soon after my last surgery?

Am I being too ambitious thinking of going to the Caribbean which is one of the insurance "high-risk" areas?

Camelializ

Everything is rosy in the garden. 

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and welcome to the travel insurance group

I'm really glad to read that after your last surgery you are now cancer free! No wonder you and your husband fancy celebrating with a lovely holiday. However, as you have found sometimes it can be more difficult to get travel insurance when you've had cancer. 

It isn't possible to say when is the best time to try and get insurance, other than at the same time/before you book your holiday, as different insurance companies have different criteria and different approaches to risk.

If you look through previous posts in this group you should be able to come up with a selection of companies to try that other forum members have successfully obtained reasonably priced insurance through. I have recently set up this thread so that we can keep all the recommendations in one place and there are quite a few there already. When you do obtain insurance it would be really useful if you could add your recommendation to it as well.

Another way of looking for insurance companies is to use the search bar near the top of the page to search for old threads covering, in your case, travel insurance to the Caribbean.

A lot of people recommend that you phone travel insurance companies rather than complete online applications.

I hope you find some reasonably priced insurance and have a wonderful holiday.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Camelializ
Posted by

Hi Latchbrook

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes I've seen your thread to keep all the recommendations together.  Good idea. I know how easily useful tips can get completely lost and difficult to search for.

I agree that phoning is best - trying to explain all my complicated surgery does not compute online so I don't know why I tried.  I feel if I could just speak to a medical expert who really understood everything it would be easier than trying to fit into a computer algorithm.

The person I spoke to at Boots Insurance recommended I speak to BIBA (British Insurance Brokers Association) 0370 9501790 to try to find an insurer who could offer cover.

I think first of all I am going to get our travel agent to propose specific dates for our dream Caribbean holiday and then phone up another few companies from your thread to see if I can get single trip cover.

Camelializ

latchbrook
Posted by

You're welcome !

I think that it makes sense to get some specific dates and also to see what insurance companies BIBA recommend. They may have some that you could add to our thread!

I think most people here have found more success with single trip cover than annual as I guess that insurers see us as less of a risk if we're only booking one trip at a time.

Hopefully one of the insurers will come up trumps especially as your treatment has finished. 

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Mitzie10
Posted by

Hi there

I to have Insurance with my Bank Account but they won’t give me medical cover for my Cancer. So as I had the cancellation cover I waited until a couple of weeks before I was going to get the Medical cover. 

I went on a Caribbean Cruise after completing Chemo and your right title is deemed a higher risk area as was the Cruise!

However I got cover with insurancewith.com for £147.00.

The nearer you are to the holiday the better and yes talking to the company direct is so much better

Good luck in your search

Christine x

Camelializ
Posted by

Hi Christine

I tried Insurewith but was refused single trip cover for the Caribbean. I spoke to a helpful man and the problem seems to be that I’ve only just had surgery (last week!) under general anaesthetic. He said to leave it a couple of months and then try again. 

Now I think about it I can see their point of view in that there could still be issues/complications arising from this surgery even though the cancer has gone. Then the longer the time until the holiday the more chances there are of a health issue arising (in actuarial terms).

The trouble is we need to book such a holiday a few months in advance to get flights and would have to pay a hefty deposit. I didn’t think cancellation cover would apply if the reason for cancellation is medical. My bank insurance company  said anything caused directly or indirectly by the bowel cancer would not be covered so that could involve anything to do with my stoma or a whole host of things they could say were an indirect cause.  

I think we’ve been a bit too ambitious in our plans so may have to content ourselves with travel to Europe for a bit. Heaven help us if we have to get a visa just to go to France as has been suggested in all the Brexit furore!

Hopefully Caribbean in 2020 unless we are lucky enough to find a last minute deal next year. 

Mitzie10
Posted by

Oh that’s a shame but as you say it probably is early days. I was assured by my Nationwide Flex plus Account that if I had to cancel for any reason, including my NET I was covered. They just wouldn’t give medical cover. I guess they are all different and as they say....the devil is in the detail.

You can get some good last minute deals, I think we used Cruise 118....

Lovely places in Europe too provided we have good weather ....

Hope all goes well with your recovery and I hope your plans come to fruition 

Christine x