This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Recommended Travel Insurance

• 250 replies
  • 124 subscribers

Hi everyone

As it can be time consuming looking through existing posts for travel insurance recommendations I thought it'd be a good idea to try and keep all recommendations in one place.

With that in mind I thought I'd ask that when you've found an insurance company that provided you with cover at a reasonable cost you posted that recommendation here.

If you could put a little bit of additional information eg. whether you got single trip or annual, cover for a cruise, worldwide, etc along with anything else that you think others would find helpful when they are researching that would be great.

All the recommendations come from community members and are not recommendations from Macmillan. Please make sure you do your own research as to whether they are suitable for you.

x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I don’t think Boots Travel Insurance should be on anyone’s recommended list for the time being whilst there is an allegation of serious fraud overhanging them. Defrauding allegedly vulnerable sick people is a very serious matter. Imagine travelling on holiday to the USA or a cruise and needing emergency help and only then realising there isn’t any cover could be a matter of life and death for some. I have bought three separate Boots EU travel policies this year and have written to them to seek urgent clarification on the policies they offer. I’m guessing that Boots were underselling in error policies with higher risk and then suffered losses now they are pricing high, being too much the other way. 

• [deleted]

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

I have just taken travel insurance for my husband. He has Prostate Cancer diagnosed in May 2018 & has completed 20 sessions for Radiotherapy & is on 3 monthly Prostat injections, being followed up every 3 months.  InsuraTrip have given him 12 months cover to Europe, Spain & Egypt for only £98. (There are four levels of cover & we have taken level three. They were very helpful & we got good cover. Given them a ring. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi everyone. I have been trying to get travel insurance but due to illness and SCT my insurance cost seem to have escalated. My last company increased it from £120 annually to £460 for a single trip and that was with no claim!

I saw a mention in one of these messages for Boots Travel Insurance so thought I would have a look. What a result!

I am a type1 diabetic (49 years), have hypothyroidism and multiple myeloma. My SCT was December 29th 2016 since when I have been in remission with no further chemo.

My Insurance quote was £81!!!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi everyone. I have been trying to get travel insurance but due to illness and SCT my insurance cost seem to have escalated. My last company increased it from £120 annually to £460 for a single trip and that was with no claim!

I saw a mention in one of these messages for Boots Travel Insurance so thought I would have a look. What a result!

I am a type1 diabetic (49 years), have hypothyroidism and multiple myeloma. My SCT was December 29th 2016 since when I have been in remission with no further chemo.

My Insurance quote was £81!!!!

• That's great news and thanks for sharing it with us.

I hope you have a great time

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• [deleted]

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Have had lung cancer twice and bladder cancer once. At my last consultation my condition was described as stable having had two lots of chemo and one round of radiotherapy since 2016. My first lung cancer of 2012 has not returnes and neither has the bladder cancer.

Was quoted up to £3700 for a 10 day cruise to the canaries. My current insurer will not cover me for pre-existing medical conditions.Most of the insurance companies used the same questionnaire and one of them would not offer me anything.

A company called Insure Cancer used a different approach and concentrated on how well I was and sent a medical questionnaire to my consultant. - I still paid the princely sum of £1289 - ouch!

The companyy that flatly refused and those I said no to keep e-mailing me.

Would be interested to know what others have paid!

Sealight 1

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

We got travel insurance for my wife from All Clear Travel at the end of last October for a single trip to Oman, lasting a week at less than £300 including gadget cover and high value single item cover. I had previously been refused my nearly everyone and the only other quote I got was for over £2700!

The person I spoke to at All Clear Travel was just lovely - very understanding and reassuring. Bearing in mind that at the time, my wife was only three and a half months post surgery for colon cancer, has a stoma and was two cycles in to her chemotherapy, I think they took a really considered view of the risk involved and it was a reasonable cost - I mean what could possibly have gone wrong?! LOL.

All risks were covered, including the most obvious ones and for an extra £27, I was able to add myself to the part of her insurance that covered her condition so that if we had to cancel or be repatriated, I was covered too, which I wasn't under my (much cheaper) insurance, so all good.

I would certainly recommend them and will have no qualms in using them again. Such peace of mind.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    [deleted]