Travel insurance

Have you had difficulty getting travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis? Or have you managed to find a reasonable quote? Join this group to share experiences and talk to people who understand what you’re going through.

Recommended Travel Insurance

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

As I said in my reply to you here, I'm not aware of any list of travel insurance companies that cater for cancer patients but there are plenty of recommendations from other community members in this thread. It's a good place for you to start and compile your own list.

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

transport
Posted by

had lung cancer surgery last april(lobectomy) paid 26 pound single trip europe Holiday Safe had to answer a few questions about condition  100 pound excess.

Ekulrac
Posted by

Going back a couple of years or so travel insurance for us cancer sufferers was a bit of a struggle. It is one of those items that keeps coming up here but it has changed in recent times. Now the likes of Compare the Market, are offering cover where they didn't previously as more companies appear to be offering insurance.

You can now find a company that will offer you a reasonable rate which stays the same no matter how far in advance of your trip you take the policy out. I was about to do that until I had a word again with my current insurer, Saga, how it has worked for us with them and read in more detail their conditioins.

On our trips we are only outstanding the deposit (usually £60 x 2) until ten weeks before departure when the balance has to be paid. With Saga if you take out their insurance as you pay the deposit, possibly several months in advance, it can work out as expensive. However I have learnt that if you get an on line quote  (to be sure you can get the insurance and a 30% discount) as you book your holiday, leave it until just prior to your balance is due to be paid and call them up.

At this time they will dig out your earlier quote and we have found that it has reduced to become one of the cheapest so we are sticking with them.

Last June we had to cancel a holiday due to my first ever TIA and they covered that without it affecting future business. We have had three trips since and just arranged another for March.

I am sure that there are other companies just as good, but for us we now have our own personal contact with them and it suits us well.