Travel insurance

Have you had difficulty getting travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis? Or have you managed to find a reasonable quote? Join this group to share experiences and talk to people who understand what you’re going through.

Recommended Travel Insurance

latchbrook
Posted by

Take a look through this thread for recommendations from other community members

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Hotdish
Posted by

Hi

firstly thank you everyone who has contributed to this discussion. I found the experiences shared very helpful in obtaining my travel insurance. 

Just to put this insurance into context, my trip is to Paris for 5 days, no water sports or cruises, I am being treated for breast cancer, i’ve had a mastectomy and lymph nodes removed, chemo and radiotherapy which finished 2 weeks ago. 

i got a number of quotes and boy did they vary. Saga came in at £103, the most expensive and i ended up insuring with HolidaySafe (Single trip premier) for  £20.31 - with £100 excess. You can get this cheaper if you increase the excess. That’s over £80 cheaper and they asked the same pre condition questions, shocking !! Cover for medical, cancellation, gadgets etc was identical. 

i hope this helps others wanting to travel. 

Regards

Hotdish
Posted by

Forgot to mention, I found the link provided by TraceyP to the Which site extremely helpful.

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and and welcome to the online community

Thanks very much for sharing your experience of getting travel insurance with us and it's great that after shopping around you were able to get some at a reasonable price. 

I hope you have a great time! 

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

Sophie236
Posted by

Well! Diagnosis of breast cancer was in 2016, and we managed to get fairly cheap (£150) annual insurance in 2017 with Insurance With. In 2018, they wanted an eye-watering sum, so I went to All Clear, and paid about £120. This year, All Clear wanted over £900, and so did Saga, etc! So my husband rang our home and contents insurer, Direct Line, and they charged us £160. It's absolutely crazy, but the message seems to be to shop around. 

Sophie X

"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first, and the lesson afterward."

- Oscar Wilde

latchbrook
Posted by

Take a look through this thread for recommendations from other community members

latchbrook
Posted by

gsx_geoff
Posted by

I finished my treatment for throat cancer just over a year ago and got insurance through boots for a 7-day trip to Rome for £42, for me and my wife, with a £100 excess. Quite reasonable considering no one through compare the market would insure me.

Helenaa
Posted by

Has anyone up here ever had a claim through Boots? We found them helpful before when buying, but later read some rather worrying news about them not bringing someone home from abroad who needed to be brought home. I know this is a rather extreme example.

mutabor2
Posted by

Hello! My husband and I are going to Goa this spring, what can you recommend me? Two weeks, renting a villa there https://www.goavilla.co.uk/. Also interested in hearing about Boots, though I've read pretty controversial things.

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and welcome to the online community

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis. I don't know whether you've had a chance to look through this thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. 

Most people recommend that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as sometimes they can refer to the underwriters to see if they would cover you when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance. Some insurers might ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel.

If you type 'boots' in the search bar in this group it will bring up any previous posts about this company and you can have a read of these and reply to any member if you want to ask any further questions about their experience.

I do hope that you can get insurance so that you can go on your planned trip. Do come back and let us know how you get on.

x

Mitzie10
Posted by

Hi

We used to go to Goa in January every year. Unfortunately with my health issues we haven’t been for 3/4 years. Its my dream to return one day but unfortunately with my current health situation it is unlikely. 
We used to stay in the Cavelossim area and there are excellent medical facilities nearby.

I’ve used insurancewith.com a few times and they are very good. We were booked to go to Crete in October but I developed Pneumonia so had to cancel. A letter from my GP to confirm I was in hospital was all I needed for a full refund.

Hope you get to Goa and have a wonderful time. We used Silver Waves Shack, on the Beach and their sister restaurant in the evening 

Christine x