Travel insurance

Have you had difficulty getting travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis? Or have you managed to find a reasonable quote? Join this group to share experiences and talk to people who understand what you’re going through.

Recommended Travel Insurance

Jenko1979
Posted by

Exactly my point. So they paid out.

press coverage probably means they are more likely to now.

im sure people appreciate these links though.

anyway, all I’m saying is let people make their own mind up rather than telling them to avoid. Telling people to avoid at all costs may we’ll be preventing them from being able to go on holiday when you don’t know for sure that they will never pay out.

i recommend boots btw

paul

Paul 

Jenko1979
Posted by

Apologies, I hadn’t realised that you needed to have made a claim in order to recommend an insurance company on here. I retract my recommendation.

I suspect most recommendations on here are from people who have not claimed through them.

i recommended based on the fact that boots insurance was able to give me a quote based on my actual condition that enabled me and my family to go on a lovely 2 holidays this year.  Not many companies split down things like still being on treatment but being in remission, so for non-Hodgkins lymphoma patients this was crucial in obtaining a realistic quote. I have no idea if they will pay out a claim which is similar to any insurance company that I have ever used for car insurance, home insurance, etc. I put some trust in that and have seen many stories of successful claims through boots as well as some unsuccessful ones. I suspect if you dig deep enough you will find this for all insurance companies.

based on this new rule, I cannot recommend a travel insurance company for cancer patients.

Paul 

tpott
Posted by

Isn’t the point of travel insurance that they pay out when you claim and are in dire need . If you read the BBC article it says clearly that there is allegedly a 40,000 word dossier of complaints compiled already that the FCA are investigating. These complaints allege that TIF tried to delay or avoid making payouts. With this background, people can make an informed decision about insurance cover for themselves. 

Jenko1979
Posted by

I’m in total agreement to let people make their own decisions.

Paul 

Mai Tai
Posted by

Hi

Just to give some hope to people struggling to get reasonable holiday insurance -

I was diagnosed with a tumour in my duodenum in July 2018. It was all removed by surgery, and all other organs were clear  but  chemo was recommended to reduce the chance of another tumour growing.  Chemo started in September and finished in April, when I was declared All Clear!  My "old" insurance company won't cover me until 3 years post treatment, but I now have annual cover with Boots for Europe, including winter sports and trekking at altitude for ~£130 - which I thought was very reasonable.

Happy holidays everyone!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.
tpott
Posted by

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. There seem now too many stories, mine included, for this to be coincidental. 

latchbrook
Posted by

Travel insurance companies recommended by forum members

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

I'm confused why, if Boots Insurance refused to pay a claim for your February holiday, you recommended them in this thread on 21 May?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

tpott
Posted by

Hi at that stage it looked like the claim was being dealt with normally. Also had the claim been paid, the premium was excellent for a one week trip to Miami given my Stage 4b NHL blood cancer and other issues. Since then the hospital and doctors have still not been paid and I am now being pursued aggressively by debt collectors working for the US medical services I received. On top of that there are very worrying press articles circulating about Boots not honouring their obligations allegedly in some very serious situations. I do not think that given my health, I should be stuck in the middle of this fight to ensure Boots pays the outstanding bills. It is very stressful and unnecessary. I was warned that the lower premiums quoted by Boots for many people in this forum come with consequences. You need to be able to travel in peace without the worry of being stranded or left high and dry if you have bought a travel policy which clearly covers the incident in question. 

tpott
Posted by

... on top of that, I had used Boots twice previously in 2018 for other trips given the prices I got from them but on those occasions there was no need to claim. This last trip is the first time I have had to put Boots to the test. 

My case is now with the Financial Ombudsman. 

latchbrook
Posted by

Thanks for that . I'll keep my fingers crossed that the Financial Ombudsman finds in your favour! Do you know when they will give their ruling?