Travel insurance

Have you had difficulty getting travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis? Or have you managed to find a reasonable quote? Join this group to share experiences and talk to people who understand what you’re going through.

Recommended Travel Insurance

mic19
Posted by

Thank you to everyone for the help .Know what I’m doing this weekend .X

mic19
Posted by

So sorry rubbish at this sort of stuff .It was chellesimo .Thanks

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi 

That's great news that you've managed to get decent cover for a decent price with Saga.

has recently joined the group and wants to ask you the following question

"Did you answer yes or no to the terminal illness question.I told them (saga) quoted me £888 I’ve always had them but can’t afford that."

and I was hoping you could help.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Georgia on my mind
Posted by

Just arranged annual multi trip insurance covering the USA with Holidaysafe Insurance. I have previously been with them but last year was diagnosed with breast cancer, had chemotherapy,  mastectomy, axilary node clearance and radiotherapy. Cost of insurance £112 which is only £12 more than when I last arranged it in 2017

I didn't even bother ringing any other companies as I was totally happy with that quote

chellesimo
Posted by

Hi Mic19

Sorry for the late reply, I don’t seem to have received any notifications, and have only just come across this by chance this morning.

To answer your question, No I did not tick the terminal box. I am incurable but have been stable for 4 years so I do not class myself as terminal. What I have found useful as well is to leave booking the insureance closer to the time of the cruise. For instance we have booked another cruise for June and my oncology appointment is in May, so I won’t book the insurance until after that appointment. Then the question of “are any hospital appointments due before the holiday” box is not ticked either. Now I know that if at my appointment it ends up I have to have treatment and I cannot go on the cruise I may lose the money I have paid, or I may be able to postpone the holiday for another time. But this seems like a much better way to do it for me. 

Another point to make that may help others, is that I hadn’t looked at Saga before because I am under 50 so didn’t think I could get insurance with them, but my husband is 52 so we put his name as the main insured person which then covered me on the same policy. 

Chelle 

Darren1984W
Posted by

Hi, new herr and looking for recommended insurer's for travel. Already have a 5 day Disney Paris trip booked for my daughter's 5th and quotes are £1000! Surely there's better out there, it's France not a war zone!

johnr
Posted by

Hi without any info as to what type of cancer and prognosis its hard for people to offer advice other than some general advice about trawling to see who offers the most reasonable cost for the cover you need.

Here is something I posted on another query today, costs were very reasonable less than £40 for a couple, 8 nights in the canary islands 

Hi, in the past I have used Eurotunnel Insurance but they have changed the areas they cover, but I believe mainland Europe is all they cover now, so should be ok. The only ask a couple of questions which are - has the doctor advised you not to travel so make sure your file is marked fit to travel and have you been given a terminal diagnosis, if you can answer these questions to their satisfaction you and your cancer are covered. Or that's how it worked last year when I used them.

Good luck and hope you get sorted as its a pain trawling around

John  

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
Smallp02
Posted by

Hellooo...

Well untried for quotes for a day trip to France back in November.. 2 refused as 8 am currently undergoing chemo for stage 4 brain tumour... another said £7 but wouldn't cover the cancer... ?! And the point is? 

Then the last wanted over £1000 .......

Needless to say we didn't bother x

Paula x

Rob04
Posted by

Hi there - my first post!

Some background on the roller coaster we've been on. My 54 year old wife was diagnosed with breast cancer just over 2 years ago, and then in November 2017 was diagnosed with a glioblastoma. It was initially Stage 2/3 (treated with surgery, radio, chemo) then it grew shockingly rapidly up to May 2018 (maybe to Stage 4). It then started shrinking as we saw in the July and Nov scans after changing chemo, procuring cannabis oil and changing diet (Rainbow Diet). She's been feeling pretty well in the main, and the next scan in 2 weeks' time, so fingers crossed. Re insurance, the neuro-oncology nurse tells me they would not use the word "terminal", but they would say she is now on palliative treatment because it is not curable (i.e. "terminal", I would have thought!?). 

In 2018 we managed several trips within Europe and also to Turkey and Hong Kong (where she lived as a child!). Boots Travel Insurance charged us typically £50-100 and £150 for HK which seemed very reasonable. This year we want to continue with travelling (e.g. Maldives is on the list, maybe Cuba), but we learnt Boots have recently changed their policy and will no longer insure us because she is on Steroids (Dex). Other companies so far have quoted £3000 and £5600 or else refused to quote.

First a comment - I thought it worth saying that, if you are not on steroids, Boots could be worth a look.

And questions - any other ideas for other companies to try in this case? Any advice?

What are the risks of her not being insured for cancer, say if we stay within Europe with E111 - I figure even if she has a seizure and collapses again, the E111 arrangement should be able to get her back on her feet OK enough to fly home at least. Thoughts?

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and welcome to the online community

All these planned holidays sound very exciting! Unfortunately, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when there is a cancer diagnosis involved. The NHS website doesn't recommend that you rely on your EHIC card if you stay in Europe as it doesn't cover you for cancellation of your holiday, lost or stolen luggage or the cost of being flown home if your wife was to be taken ill and needed to be brought home. It's also warning that your EHIC card may only be valid until 29 March 2019 if we leave the EU without a deal in place. 

I don't know if you've had a look through this thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance and there may be a company listed here that you haven't tried yet. When you do obtain insurance it would be really useful if you could add your recommendation to this thread too.

Most people suggest that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as it's easier to explain to someone than try to complete an online form. 

I do hope that you can obtain the travel insurance you need and enjoy some more wonderful holidays!

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Nirvana
Posted by

I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer last year. Fortunately it was found at an early stage with no spread and other than hormone treatment I have now completed treatment. Today I attempted to renew our travel insurance with LV insurance, not only would they not insure me for breast cancer but they also refused to insure me for my high blood pressure, something they had been doing for years. They reason is incomprehensible despite two phone calls - probably best summarised as computer says no! I also looked at Boots insurance and got on online quote covering both my medical conditions and also my husbands' for cheaper than LV. Seems like there may be some positives from having a cancer diagnosis. On principle we will probably move all our other insurance policies from LV following their unhelpful response.     

Rob04
Posted by

Had another scan yesterday - shrinking further! Neither of us expected that. Woohoo - game on!

Re travel insurance companies, everyone wants us to jump through hoops AND pay through the nose (or won't insure) e.g. £7-800 for 4 days in Palma (InsureCancer). So we're just going to stay within Europe and trust the EHIC arrangement, maybe with cancer-exemption on "normal" travel insurance. I think medical evacuation is unlikely to be needed, and at £20k or so it would be deeply unwelcome (!) but not totally life-changingly dramatic. Hopefully Brexit doesn't muck up the EHIC arrangement!

johnr
Posted by

Rob if your staying with main land Europe then euro tunnel insurance may cover you both so long as the medical record if not marked terminal, certainly worth a call. that so long as no more changes have been made this year.

and good to hear the scan brought good news

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
Rob04
Posted by

Thanks John. They said it is "Palliative Treatment" rather than using the word Terminal, but they also acknowledge insurance companies might see that as the same thing (and as I understand it, palliative treatment/care is what you do when someone is terminal i.e. not expected to be cured).

Wils78
Posted by

Hi. 

Looking at going on holiday this summer(Greece). Unfortunately, my mother is terminally ill after a recurrence of pancreatic cancer, that has now spread. Its currently stable and not particularly aggressive were told. She is not travelling with us, but just wondering if any companies will cover us in case our plans change once booked.

Thanks