Travel insurance

Have you had difficulty getting travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis? Or have you managed to find a reasonable quote? Join this group to share experiences and talk to people who understand what you’re going through.

Recommended Travel Insurance

tpott
Posted by

The normal excess is £50 but for declared pre-existing conditions it is £750 plus £50. I was hospitalised for an unrelated condition. The claim is accepted and I fail to see why at least the majority of the claim can be paid to settle the outstanding hospital and medical bills. It is a dispute between myself and the insurer not between the insurer and the providers. 

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

I can see why you're disputing the excess now! I certainly wouldn't want to pay £800 if my claim was unrelated to my pre-existing medical condition.

I hope the ombudsman finds in your favour. 

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

latchbrook
Posted by

A thread with recommendations from other community members

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

latchbrook
Posted by

latchbrook
Posted by

LancastrianInExile
Posted by

What is "reasonable"?

We had a year-long policy through Saga for two of us, both type 12 diabetic and both taking medication to keep our blood pressure and cholesterol under control.

Two months ago my wife had a minor heart attack and a stent fitted - ironically actually making her healthier.   When we informed Saga, a few weeks ahead of a planned holiday they cancelled our annual policy cover and charged us over £200 plus the pro rata refund of our used annual cover refund.

All seemed well until eight days before departure when we notified them that two days earlier I'd been diagnosed with thyroid cancer and was awaiting an operation a month after the planned trip.       Saga withdrew our cover. 

With the help of BIBA we found a week's cover through "All Clear", at a cost of £1650.    The upcoming holiday had been a light-at- end-of-the-tunnel event following my wife's heart attack so there was no option but to go ahead.

Insurance underwriters all ask the same list of questions but don't have the flexibility to assess risk sensibly there is no increased health risk and the consultant says I'm fit to travel.   - the small lump on the side of my neck is not likely to make me prone to falling over; and treatment has not started so outwardly I'm as fit as I was before.

Looks like it will be UK holidays for now on.

"Time is for spending, not saving." : quote from Lakeland Fells guidebook writer, Alfred Wainwright, seen on a Thwaites's beer glass, and after whom the ale was named.
latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and welcome to the online community

What is "reasonable" is a very good question and probably impossible to answer as what is reasonable for one person might be considered to be extortinate to another.

However from the point of view of this group, whose members are looking for travel insurance, then I would assume that reasonable would be considered to be not a lot more expensive than they would pay if they didn't have cancer. So maybe hundreds of pounds rather than thousands of pounds.

Although it's true that the questions asked may all be the same, or very similar, the quotations can be vastly different. If you have a look through this thread and others in this group you'll find plenty of examples where people have found vast differences in prices quoted. I'll link a couple of them for you here and here

It really does pay to shop around and always phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel. In any case it's always best to make sure that you have checked with your doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that you won't give up your love of foreign holidays

x

LancastrianInExile
Posted by

I wish I'd found this forum a few days earlier.  Two  2 days after being diagnosed with thyroid cancer we notified Saga.    They responded by cancelling  our cover just 7 days before departure,  Desperate not to lose the holiday and short of time we ended up paying £1650 for one week's cover with AllClear.

Thank you for you post which will be useful when treatment is completed. 

"Time is for spending, not saving." : quote from Lakeland Fells guidebook writer, Alfred Wainwright, seen on a Thwaites's beer glass, and after whom the ale was named.
LancastrianInExile
Posted by

Thank you for the two postings you attached;  it's very encouraging.      We were very much in a "pay up or cancel your holiday" situation.

Once I've had the op and follow-up radioactive iodine treatment, and time passes since my wife's heart attack & stent fitting; things ought to be easier.     Probably better to get estimates before booking a holiday..

latchbrook
Posted by

I think I'd have done the same in your position with only a week left to go. You'd just been diagnosed and the last thing you'd have wanted to do was spend lots of time on the phone trying to obtain insurance.

As time passes you should find it easier still to get "reasonably" priced insurance but I'd definitely shop around and make sure you can get travel insurance before you book your next holiday.

All the best with your op

x